3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio Wont Work

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM
fxnytro17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Wont Work

I have a 2002 ram 1500, 4.7L, and the other day I tried installing my new sterio. i hooked it up then plugged it in and it worked for 2 or 3 seconds then shut off. Now my stock radio wont work and there is a red light flashing when i turn the key on. The whole dash hesitates before it turns on. The cab light and everything wont work unless i have the key turned on. The truck starts and moves fine. Can anybody tell me my problem? I was thinking it was a fuse but I cant find one thats ruined.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you start the engine and drive it fine? Have you tested all the fuses with a meter or test light? Sometimes looking at them can be misleading? Are we talking OEM radio or after market? Try disconnecting the radio and checking the wires and testing for voltage there. Some after market radios also have fuses on the back of the unit.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:05 PM
fxnytro17

I did check all the fuses today with the test light and all of them are working. Nothing works if I dont have the key turned all the way ahead. Even when i turns the truck off from idling the rpm hand will still read 600 until I turns the key ahead again.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you think this resulted from something you did when installing the new HU then put all the wiring back as it was. Did you tap or splice anything or use a PnP harness.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

He forgot to disconnect the battery!!!!

Try to restet the pcm disconnecting the battery and see if it works....

Old 12-24-2010, 05:52 PM
fxnytro17

No i didnt disconnect the battery when i was hooking up my cd player lol. I dint think i would have to. But I disconnected the battery today a couple of times. Tryed it with the key on and stuff but it still dont work. I think I have to get the security code for the truck. But I dont have the owners manule. Ill have to wait after the holidays to call Dodge and see if i can get it.

Quick Reply: Radio Wont Work