3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Long arm lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 PM
DaytonaDakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long arm lift kits

Does anyone know of a long arm lift kit for 03-09 dodge ram 2500 3500 etc. That doesnt require removal of the lower control arm bracket. Probably doesn't exist but thought I'd ask

Every kit I've seen requires the lower bracket to be cut off. I assume for travel space and mounting clearance

Old 12-28-2010, 12:08 AM
CRAIG02RAM
Professional

Try top gun customz

Old 12-28-2010, 12:25 AM
DaytonaDakota
Professional

Yeah I go on there a lot. But they all say "complete bolt on" in the description. Then when I look at install pics. They're all missing or state that the bracket had to be removed

Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When you say "long arm lift kit" are you asking about something like a cross member drop so you can get higher?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 AM
DaytonaDakota
Professional

Not really a drop kit. I'm really just looking to go up another 3 to 6 inches. And short arm kits dint require cutting any brackets. But the long arm kits do. I was just wondering if any company makes true bolt on long arm kits.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

He's got a mega cab weed... so solid front axle.

If you are only looking for a 3" suspension lift, long arms are not really needed for a decent ride. When you get up into the 6" mark is when long arms will really help the ride quality. I have not heard of one single long arm kit that allows leaving the lower control arm mount on, and yes it is due to clearance issues (but I will do some searching to).

If you have the cash to spend on a high end, very nice riding/performing kit I would look at the Carli starter kit (or any of there kits). Tuned very well just for the dodge, and offers extremely great ride (I have heard guys say it makes there truck ride like a half ton). It lifts the front about 3" or so, and the back enough to level it.

Last edited by olyelr; 12-29-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

@ Olyler - gotcha. THX for that clarification. SFA still confuse me for some reason. I guess because I dont have one.

@ Datona - cross member drops actually are used in lift kits. They drop the lower control arm so we can add taller springs to lift us higher. But thats on IFS......LOL

Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Quick solid axle 101 for weed:

The axle is located under the truck (front to back) by 4 control arms (two on each side), along with a track bar (panhard bar) which locates it side to side. The stock control arms are somewhere in the neighborhood of 18" long, and with lifts in the 6+" range the ride becomes somewhat, well, horrible.

A "long arm" kit uses much longer arms, many which are nearly 3-4 ft. long (typically only the lower links though). This greatly improves ride quality, as well as suspension cycle. One of the downfalls of this type of kit (if you consider it one) is you have to remove the factory installed lower link frame mounts due to clearance issues. Another downfall could be somewhat less "ground clearance" for off roading.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Heres a random pic off the internet for example. The stock mounting locations for the two control arms from the factory are even in front of this upper link mount...

Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 AM
CRAIG02RAM
Professional

My 5" rough country doesn't ride bad, rides like a solid axle truck. Better shock would be better

Quick Reply: Long arm lift kits