3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sudden Engine failure and No Slugde

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
SycoChihuahua
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Engine failure and No Slugde

Hey Y'all,

So I seen a few forums and googles about this topic and wanted to share my experience with this. At the beginning of Dec-2010 I pulled out of the Taco Bell and my engine made a noise as I pulled on to the roadway like a fan belt slapping the inside of the hood or wire wrapped around the drive shaft and then died. I had it towed to the my local (5-star) dealer. I have had the truck for 8 years and it had just a little over 34,000 miles on, side note I travel for work so explains the low miles. I spoke with my sales manager and they worked with me to get Dodge to cover the cost or some portion, but I had to bring in all the paperwork that showed the maintenance to the truck, so I did. I went home and started looking on interweb and saw all these stories about the 4.7 and Dodge not backing the engine and Oil sludge issues. Well I changed my oil after every long trip and every 6 months, since I did not get that many miles. I worried the next few days on whether Dodge would cover the motor since I was out of warranty. Well they covered half the cost and I only paid at warranty prices. Once the motor was torn down the intake valve on #4 had dropped out and what was making that sound before it destroyed the piston. These heads where replaced 23 months prior due to a over-heat problem that caused cracked heads. The cracked heads was due to a retaining clip that broke and caused the heater hose to contact the header and burned a hole and etc. Cascading events here.
if the head would had broken with in the 12 month warranty Dodge would had replaced it for free.

As for Oil Sluge, I had NONE!!!, I used Castrol Syntec and changed it every 6 months/6k and after every long trip.

I will share some pictures

If you can't see these go over to http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....?AlbumID=14811

User rladdnt:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

That's an ugly looking head and it seems like you struck the 2 most common problems with the 4.7L engine!
Good luck to you in the future with that. If they replaced the components with OEM parts, it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

Quick Reply: Sudden Engine failure and No Slugde