3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold Weather Driving - 5-4 spontainious shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
mjleedle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys,

The bad T/B or even a Software glitch makes more sense than these claims of two throttle bodies. Especially since some of the guys that had the problem on Ask.com and Just Answers said that once they chipped their trucks the issue was gone. I did ask my baby brother who is a Diesel/Ag mechanic and it made no sense to him either. He suggested looking into seeing if there is an ambient or intake air temperature sensor. He said some of the pulling teams that he has worked for use intake air temp sensors to more precisely tune the fuel mixtures. He said he has also seen on some motors with aluminum T/B that they can ice up producing slight rpm surges as ice builds up..."Or could be because it is a Dodge"...he is the only Ford guy in the family...

I'm not going to worry too much about it since It only happens a 1-2 times a year when I go back to WI for winter trips. Thanks for the thoughts, comments, and critisisms.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
tomcat_m
Rookie

At what speed?
Sound like its going into lockup and then back out
Mike

Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
mjleedle

Tom,

Thats what I though as well, and why I had it in the shop to check it out but the trany was given a clean bill of health, and it still does it if I hit the OD OFF which I have been told also disengages the TC lock up. And the Surge continues at idle until you shut the truck down and restart it. Then runs fine until you hit 70 mph for a few minutes again. Also stops as suddenly as it starts once the outside temperature reaches 26 F.

Anyway 65-70 mph 2300-2500 rpm.

Last edited by mjleedle; 01-04-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Driving - 5-4 spontainious shifting?