3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How much difference w/ Hypertech?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 06:44 PM
cantdodgeagasstation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much difference w/ Hypertech?

Yeah this is totally right, new mods throw your computer all out of whack untill they are told how they should be used be reprogramming...
ORIGINAL: Hemi_Chris

Nah, there's nothing wrong with the install. How could you possibly install an air filter and CAI wrong? [8D]

Seriously, from what I have learned here, there's a known issue with a loss of low-end torque (a very minor loss, mind you) when modifying the exhaust and intake on the (gen3) Hemi's. The engine with stock airbox, filter and exhaust is tuned quite well at the factory to give you that awesome 345HP and nice torque curve. The thing is, if you want to hop it up even further, using those kinds of upgrades, the computer has to be programmed properly to accomodate them. Otherwise, it's going to think there's something wrong and compensate in the other direction, that is, by leaning out the mixture, retarding the timing, and possibly other changes. You actually lose some power.

It's a very subtle change, but that's exactly why Hypertech and other companies make these programmers. You can even choose to tune them to take advantage of higher octane, which otherwise does absolutely nothing for the 5.7's performance.

If I am completely wrong in this, SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME. Again, this is what I have learned here, at the Dodge Forum, and that's how I learned you need to get a programmer if you mod those things. You don't *have* to, and many drivers wouldn't even notice they actually lost power. But I want to optimize things so I'm going with the Hypertech.

That's also why I'm fishing for some feedback from anyone who's gone the same route I have.

Oh, and BTW, homer, that trick doesn't do a damned thing. Tried it, makes no difference. The computer can't "learn" to reprogram itself. That's what you need a programmer for! I think that "pull the battery terminal" thing is just a Mopar urban legend!

Old 07-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Big_K9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much difference w/ Hypertech?

I have a Hypertech programmer, just waiting to install b/c I heard some horror stories of it messin your PCM up when you flash back. If you heard anything like this let me know. Until then Im waiting to install mine. I also have an intake and exhaust.

Quick Reply: How much difference w/ Hypertech?