3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crank Tone Wheel V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM
bevoe
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Tone Wheel V6

I have a 03 1500 3.7, and I need some input about the tone wheel on the crank. Does the wheel only go on one way, or could the engine rebuilder put it on 180 degree off? I can't find anything about it in the service manual. The reason I'm asking, is that I saw a 4.7 crank at the rebuilders, and the wheel was held on by two bolts. I'm having a hard time cranking it.
I have triple checked the wiring from the sensors to the PCM. And gone over the grounds at least a dozen times. I have replaced the PCS, CKPS, TPS, IAC and the MAP sensors. Still having problems. I will try anything.

God I miss the 4 bbl's, dual point dist. and the NP883 4-speeds.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:49 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think there is a keyhole that needs to be lined up so it can only be installed one way but I could be mistaken??
At any rate, you would have to tear apart the entire motor to swap it around if even possible. The entire crank needs to be lifted out to gain access to it. It's a lousy design.
Does is turn over hard or it just won't fire?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
bevoe
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for coming back.
It turns real easy, but when it sounds like it's going to fire, it starts to pop and back fire a couple of times and dies. The only few times it did run, (after long time starting) It run real ruff. It sound like the plug aren't hitting all the time. With my foot on the gas at 1500 to 2000 rpm's, it runs almost smooth. But, give it a little gas or let off a little, it starts that popping and missing real bad. And let off all the way, it dies.

Quick Reply: Crank Tone Wheel V6