3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cluster problem ? 2003

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 AM
uk guy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cluster problem ? 2003

ok here is my problem, i have a 03 quad cab and today the remote locking, interior lights packed up, with the doors open and the engine running they both work fine but no radio,so im thinking it may be the dash cluster has gone haywire

i cant take it to the dealership as im in the UK and they wont work on imported trucks so i really need help on this one guys

many thank

Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 AM
detav007
Default IP Replacement

I had to get this done on my '03 Ram 1500 as well, part cost $1,000 (in the US). It's not a difficult job, just requires patience, some specialized tools and warmth would help. plan on a day to make sure you don't rush yourself. At least these beasts have room to work. One word to the wise though, be sure this is the problem, once you've installed the new IP there is NO warranty, if it fails 5 minutes later, you're SOL. Good Luck.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by detav007
I had to get this done on my '03 Ram 1500 as well, part cost $1,000 (in the US). It's not a difficult job, just requires patience, some specialized tools and warmth would help. plan on a day to make sure you don't rush yourself. At least these beasts have room to work. One word to the wise though, be sure this is the problem, once you've installed the new IP there is NO warranty, if it fails 5 minutes later, you're SOL. Good Luck.
Could you enlighten us as to WHAT you replaced and what the problem actually was???
What's an IP, you mean IC(instrument cluster)???

Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM
uk guy
Rookie

getting a new one is out of the question !

so i'm checking out ebay to see if someone would ship one over

dont know if a used one need to be programmed to my truck but cant ship the truck back to the U.S.A. so really need to find a company out there that can do the programming for me

Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think there was a used one out of an 06 over on DT but IDK if it would work or not

Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

IF that's your problem....

Instrument cluster stores mileage, Vin info AND Vin specific options.
Installing a cluster from another truck will have a diff vin and mileage stored and you may loose a few options you have if the other one isn't the same.
You'll set off active codes that will remain active. The engine light will NOT likely illuminate, but the commands that are processed inside the computer will know it's not correct.

I paid $299 plus tax for a new cluster that was pre-programmed to my mileage and vin. This was directly from the dealer.
In Weedahoe's sig, there's repair manuals that can tell you specifically how to tests the instrument cluster for diagnosis.
You can do an initial IC test by pressing and holding the Odo trip while turning the key to On (but not start) position. I believe that's how its done?
The service manuals tell you specifically which places to check for a certain continuity. This is taking the entire IC out and probing the wires and terminals.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
uk guy
Rookie

dirtydog could you let me know the dealer you got yours from and i'll try calling them to see if i can order one pre programmed

my local Dodge dealer doesn't have the computer to do it as Rams aren't sold over here so i need to get one from over the pond

Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I purchased mine from my local Dodge dealer.
My state requires a technician to verify mileage on your old one before they can issue an order for a new one because they themselves don't adjust the mileage. It's the company who rebuilds them. I believe THIS is the company they used?? I'm not sure but HERE's another. I'm pretty sure you need to have your mileage certified by a local garage or something and then you can send a copy of that along with your cluster for them to repair. I did have a hefty core charge on my old one($500)
If you order a rebuilt cluster, it'll be shipped out fresh and once you plug it into your truck it will learn itself automatically. No Scantool is needed to install and get your truck up and running.
Maybe one of them had a service that charges your creditcard for a core and allows you to put your old one in and return it for the refund. Not sure if there's anything like that.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 AM
detav007
Default IP

Sorry, IP is the Instrument Panel, probably the same thing as IC. I'm a self taught mechanic, I've replaced head gaskets, removed and installed transmissions, pulled engines and just about everything in between. Can't do vehicle electronics though. Sometimes I call things what I've been calling them my whole life. My friends (some are real mechanics) laugh at me all the time, but they don't mind me turning a wrench for them. Sorry.

I had the Instrument Panel Replaced (IC), and fortunately that was the problem. The $1,000 may have included installation.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Book time on cluster change is .7hrs and there's no programming. Dealer would have charged me $450 out the door if I had them do it. They let me do it and still provided the 1yr/12kmi warranty on it.

Quick Reply: cluster problem ? 2003