3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New water pump and now Low Heat on 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011 | 09:11 PM
buganddoug
|
Professional
Default New water pump and now Low Heat on 4.7L

I had the gasket of the stock water pump started to leak on Dec 23 2010 on my 4.7L . So I put ane new Gates water pump in and a New Dodge thermostat. I had Super heat just like all ways. Then two weeks later the Gates water pump started to grind and I replaced it with an other New Gates pump. Had great heat and then very low heat on driver side but great heat on Passenger side. Also the pump started to make noise so I replaced it again. Samething low heat on drive side and killer heat on passenger side. I did a back flush on the heater core and I got killer heat on the diver side for two days and now low heat. As I drive I get heat on the driver side but when I stop the heat goes away

What I am thinking is could the Gates pump be going bad or maid bad. Could the pump not be flowing as much as the stock one. Or the pump blades slipping on the shaft that they are pressed on to. So when I am moving down the road I get more flow so I get better heat on the driver side.
I have noticed that the water pump blades do not look as strong as the stock Dodge pump bladeds.

Any help would be great.

Old 01-22-2011 | 10:23 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator

Unfortunately, you may have blend door issues in the dash. Kinda common on newer cars that use electric actuators instead of vacuum.

Get your money back and get a Duralast pump from Autozone. i have never had one of them fail.

Old 01-24-2011 | 11:45 AM
EvlKenevl
Rookie

I went through 3 pumps to figure out my tensioner pully was bad. the replacement tensioner had a different size pully and i needed a different belt as well.
I put an ellectric fan on too.
1st pump; new on rebuilt motor went 4000 km
2nd pump; didn't make it out of shop
3rd pump; 30 km
4th pump; 8000 km and still going

I've had my dash out a few times too.
I'm guessing when your pump started leaking you put a quick fix stop leak in it.
If so, flush that **** out thoroughly! replace tensioner and pump

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, if you have heat on one side and not the other, then the heater core, t-stat and pump are working fine. Those will not be your issues but rather the blend doors behind the dash.

Old 01-27-2011 | 08:53 AM
pupdawg

I had issues with heat also- someone on the forum suggested backflushing the heater core. I did, and it took care of the problem. It's quick and easy to try, before tearing into the dash to repair the blend door.

Old 01-27-2011 | 08:57 AM
pupdawg

opps- i see now that you already tried the backflush. sorry. Good luck

Quick Reply: New water pump and now Low Heat on 4.7L