3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

faint rattling sound (more like a whistling or chirping sound)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
my07RamHemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question faint rattling sound (more like a whistling or chirping sound)

Hello, I’m new to this site, I tried searching for my problem and couldn't anything so started a new thread. I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with Hemi, and it has this squeaky chirping sound that’s driving me freaking crazy. It isn't incredibly loud, its faint. It can only be heard when driving somewhat slowly (so the engine noise doesn’t mask the sound), and usually over bumps, and radio turned off. Sounds like it coming directly from the driver’s side. The front seat passenger can hear it (when I make mention of it) and they seem to think it’s coming from the driver side as well. I’m clueless, and the dealership wasn’t any help. Any ideas?

I read the "Sticky: Common Issue's with the Dodge Ram..Please read before posting" and didn't find anything there either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

So its squeaky only at idle in park? Or also when driving and moving? Only when going straight or around curves also? Does it over speed bumps or pot holes only?

Have you tried taking a can of WD40 and spraying the shocks to see if it helps temporarily?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
my07RamHemi

only when driving, I cant seem to re-create the noise when idling or in park, the driving direction doesn't seem to matter, straight or turning it still makes the noise, regardless of the surface

I've tried lubricating, doesn't help

my only thought was it could be power steering related, just based on where I think the noise is coming from (directionally), but I'm not having any pother power steering problems, so I dunno

Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
GHALL219

im having the same problems but mine started right after i replaced the shocks. to me it soulds like bushings so i sprayed wd 40 just like did and it did not do it for about a week but than came back.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
outcast
Professional

check the u-joints mine was bad and it scweaked in reverse.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 PM
whoamioitsi
Amateur

Well i will tell you it is a truck it will have some squeaks LOL

but i do know the Rams did have a problem with the rear springs and the clamps for them having a squeak and belive the fix was retightening the band clamp that holds the springs together
but just a guess to being what your issue is really

Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 AM
superfordman

Mine does something very similar, not it park and only when its moving but last time it was on the lift I notice the passenger side manifold heat shield was hanging on by about one bolt and could easily flop around. I keep forgetting to tear it off there when im working on it so hopefully that is the source of the squeak. but since you said you took yours to the dealership I imagine they would have discovered something that simple, lets hope

Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Paratrooper
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same noise it was the rails the seat is on i greased the seat rails and it went away. try sitting on ur drivers seat or passenger sear and try and wiggle it see if it makes that noise if so then put some dry lube there

Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM
my07RamHemi

I think it might be power steering related, as just yesterday I as able to replicate the noise by jiggling the wheel, any ideas? perhaps a belt?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The PS pump pulley is machine pressed on so if it is loose then you have an issue

Quick Reply: faint rattling sound (more like a whistling or chirping sound)