3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ticking and lifter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM
plombo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking and lifter replacement

Hello all, this is my first post. My 2005 Ram (hemi 5.7) has 62,000 miles. brought into the dealer with a Lound ticking( not the normal hemi tick) and they agreed it is an issue. They are going to replace the lifters and some other parts that I have no idea what they are or do.

my questions: Once this is done, should i get rid of the truck/trade it in on a newer one? If I keep it, will i have more problems in the near future, since there is already one now. I love the truck, just do not want to continue to have engine issues.

any thoughts would be great

Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site. Most ticking is caused my blown exhaust manifold gaskets caused due to broken or loose exh manifold bolts. However, if it is internal and a lifter then let them replace them. Try to get them to go ahead and rebuild the entire top end since they will be taking it apart anyway. If they refuse then ask them if you buy the part will they at least swap them out and replace them since they will be taking them all off anyway.

As for will you have any more issues in the future? Who knows for sure. If anything arises do I think it would be directly related to this issue? No, I do not.

But anything mechanical is prone to failure sooner or later.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
plombo

thanks for the reply. The mechanic showed me the top of a lifter( thin rod with a ball shaped end ), where the head of it was ground down, compared to ones that were not. As of 2 days ago, not sure if they are replacing all of them, i think just the ones that are ruined.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by plombo
thanks for the reply. The mechanic showed me the top of a lifter( thin rod with a ball shaped end ), where the head of it was ground down, compared to ones that were not. As of 2 days ago, not sure if they are replacing all of them, i think just the ones that are ruined.

Sounds like a lifter rod that he showed you-- would you know which end of the rod is worn? A lifter itself is on one end of a rod, and a rocker is on the other..

that is an important question to ask.. a lifter isn't so expensive.. a rocker arm isn't either, but there has got to be a reason why the ball shaped end is deteriorated like that if it is on the head side, and my fear for you would be it is valve spring/valve related..

If it's just a bad hydraulic lifter, then that isn't so bad- and hey, it happens.. especially if you don't do frequent oil changes or run improper weight oils- or sometimes they just collapse because that's what they do..

Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
plombo

the ball shaped end was near the top of the engine( in my understanding) under that was a large piece with what looked like a more complex piece about a inch in diamter and with lots of open ports on it

Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
plombo

stopped by the dealer today. they had more of the engine taken apart. they are replacing all three parts. the rod at the upper end, the piece in the middle, and the lifter at the bottom, and they are doing both sides of the engine. said the drive shaft looked good, no signs of wear. So i guess that is good news. Just wanted to let eople know that they are working on it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

That is great news. Are they replacing all the lifters or just one?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hesitate to respond because w/o seeing that engine, there are just too many ways to go with what it may or may not be doing.. I'm glad they're getting you fixed up. I'd like to hear what they think caused it though.. If you don't mind.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
plombo

they are replacing all of the rods,lifters on each side. as for the casue, it was mentioned that it was Possible that there was low oil or oil not moving like it should.... but also said that these engines, some of them did have ssues, but not all of them. showed me where my engine had a newer collar in the head that goes around a spring? that the 2004 did not have. also, the mechanic has been great, in that he took the time to show me the bad and good replacement parts. and the top rods and the middle (long shaft) are the newer design. will keep u posted when it is done, most likely friday. I asked about whether it will be dependable, and the mechanic said that when they drive it, the will let me know and will not give it back if it is not right

Quick Reply: ticking and lifter replacement