3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake controller mount... where?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Avanti
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake controller mount... where?

I'm looking at where to install my Tekonsha Prodigy brake-controller and find there really isn't an "underdash" as in older trucks. I'd like a permanent mount, out of the way, but find the options limited. Where have others put theirs, apart from simply screwing them to the knee panel.

I'd like to put mine in the center "cubby hole ('05 Ram ST)," but the issue is running the wires. Has anyone done this? I can fab an aluminum bracket to fit in the cubby to hold the controller and use an angle drill and hole-saw bit to make a hole at the left rear of the cubby, but the plastic there is double-walled and I don't know what is behind the cubby and betwwen the next plastic, if anything.

I've considered cutting a hole in the driver's knee panel but don't really like the controller so close to my legs. It has to protrude a ways in order to activate the emerency braking lever. I've also popped the cover at the very bottom of the center "console" but that space is pretty well filled, too.

Any thoughts, experience installing controllers?

Thanks, in advance.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:58 PM
gpzjack
Veteran
Default RE: Brake controller mount... where?

I mounted mine right under the dash on the left near the e-brake. You barely even notice its there

Old 06-25-2005, 09:36 PM
bign1976
Veteran

Buddy of mine mounted his there, under the heater controls, said it was easy

Old 06-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Avanti
Captain

bign1976:

Thanks for the response about your friend's brake-controller mount. It sounds like he/she did as I want to do, i.e. mount it in the hole under the climate controls.

Would you mind asking your friend what he did with the wires, please? I could run them out the front as a temporary install, but I'd like to just install it cleanly and permanently.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Avanti
Captain

Once more, the Forum comes through!

Nick's (bign1976) friend Eric emailed me with instructions for removing the center-dash trim surround (for want of a better term) that the cubby-hole is a part of. Then, it is a simple matter to do all required to mount the brake-controller in the cubby and run the wires out of sight.

Tomorrow's project.

Many thanks to both!

Old 06-28-2005, 06:13 PM
bign1976
Veteran

no problem..... glad to help.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Duckmaniak

do you mind sharing? I have the same problem as Avanti, Right now mine is under the dash and it is a pain to use the emergency switch if I ever had to. Thanks

Duck

Old 07-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Avanti
Captain

Duckmaniak:

The entire large dash surround that goes from the steering column to the package hook comes off by taking the one screw out by the package hook and CAREFULLY prying off the surround (it pushes/pops on). That allows the nook to come out, which can then be drilled for the wires so they can be run on out to the underdash hookup.

Caio!

Quick Reply: Brake controller mount... where?