3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back End to light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
HEMI_n_Cali
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back End to light?

I know its a truck and its not supose to be like a sports car. So help me out if im thinking it all wrong. Id like to take at a stop light and turn right spinning the tires out like i can on my camaro. However on my truck (04 4x2 qc hemi) the back tire just bounces around skipping, vs' acaully laying tread down. Makes it scary not to hit the gas too hard, cause i certainly dont want to crash my new truck. Its probably best i can't do it since im at risk of loosing my liscence. But tell me if anyone else has had this problem? I recently watched a Hemi Sport take off like i wanted. and he didn't do to bad. I seen smoke start comming around the tires. Whats wrong with my truck? Could it be te 17's? Thanks for your help....

Old 06-30-2005, 03:52 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Back End to light?

The 17's will actually hook up better due to side wall flex.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:17 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try not to turn right, Just break them loose going straight.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:30 PM
DonG
Veteran

From all the threads I've read on various forums you are not alone. Most cannot get their hemis to break loose on 20 or 17. Nothing wrong with your truck. Just the torque management system working.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:25 PM
HEMI_n_Cali
Professional

Thanks for all your reply's. As for going straight. It will give a little squak and do the girly skipping. I have read about the others out there not able to paint the road. I wonder if putting extra weight in the back of my truck would help? Give me better traction, i want to start running at the strip around here, and a good luanch is vital, however too much tire spinning isn't good either. Just curoius what everyone thinks of that.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Avanti
Captain

First, you are correct, "it is a truck," no getting around it.

As for wheel-hop (which you are describing) added weight may help some, as would different grip tires--of whatever size--but launch technique is involved, as well. Go to the track and talk with those more experienced and they will give you some pointers on specific on tire pressures, rpms to launch at, etc.

All the best.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I have no trouble whatsoever lighting them up going straight or turning, you just need to "feel" your truck a little more. The trucks are huge, and have massive power, but they're not built for smoke shows. You can do it, you just need to learn how. I have also found that even though the trucks take off really fast, it usually takes 3 seconds or so after you accelerate to get to tire-spinning speed. So when I'm taking a turn, instead of making a nice big arc I'll go straight at first and then crank the wheel hard 90 degrees, it never fails to whip the *** end around.

-rob

Oh, I'm running the 20"s by the way, so you should have no frickin' problem in the world with your 17"s.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:54 PM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

I cant do it with the 17's and 275 tires. I dont powerbrake at all because its too rough on the truck. If I do spin on the street at all I get the judder as well. Its alot like when I had a detroit locker on my f-150. If you tru to spin it would judder as well. Its like the limited slip on these Dodges is almost like a locker.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

muahah this is so fun to do, esp with bald tires ;D

the way iv done it is at the stop light, id power break it for a couple seconds, then id let go of the break, and the tires still be spining and then i just turn a right and its lay's down a nice bent = sign

Old 07-01-2005, 05:59 AM
HEMI_n_Cali
Professional

So you can spin yours out but some of us others with the 04's can't. Could it be something with the Hemi Sport package? Everyone out there that CAN spin out with your 04/05's is it a hemi sport or dayonta?

Quick Reply: Back End to light?