3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serious Question regarding frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:14 AM
GShock75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Question regarding frame

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram, Hemi 5.7L, 4x4, Quad Cab, w/ 78k miles on it, and I am the original owner. Last year I was offroading with buddies and hit a rock that punched a serious dent/tear in my center cross member on the drivers side, the truck is paid for, so whatever I decide to do with it ultimately my choice. The truck is fully covered with Insurance, and has been since day one. The question I have is because of the low miles, body is immaculate, and other than this stupid hole/dent, I have driven the truck for about 12k miles with this damage, the truck still drives straight as an arrow, @ highways speeds (65-70mph) going in a straight line, you can take your hands off the wheel for about 1/2 a mile before it slowly, and I mean very slowly pulls to the left.
Because it is a frame issue, the insurance company will total loss the vehicle, and I am not sure thats the route I want to take considering everything, and I mean everything works perfectly, other than normal maintence, fluid changes, filter changes, tires, brakes.
So What I am asking of this forum is a few educated opinions, Is this something that can be fixed by a frame shop, and a good welder, considering the center cross member is basically just 2 pieces of "Channel" metal welded together, or is this going to be an absolute nightmare. I am going to put some links at the bottom of photos I shot, please forgive me if they are a bit large, but the are very detailed, between 1-2mb per photo.

Looking Forward

Underneath

Front Looking Back

If you look at this last photo it shows the center crossmember being a purchasable item, item number 3.

Dodgeparts.com

Let me thank you in advance for your time.

G

Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just look like a dent to me. No cracks coming from it yet tells me it's not been weakened much. I'm not even sure insurance would total it out, since I doubt repair costs would come close to the truck's value.

A good welding/body shop can either reinforce it or cut it out and weld in another crossmember...

Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Matt99
Champion

I would go to a pick and pull and grab one. Probably $20 if you bring your own torch. then get someone to weld it in

Generally I would be fairly worried about it possibly bending the frame (twisting) or maybe shifting the tranny a bit. But it really looks like the crossmember absorbed the shock and might have not passed it on

EDIT: hammer you beat me to it

Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 AM
GShock75

Is that site "dodgeparts.com" a worthwhile site for OEM parts?

and I guess if I was to buy the part from that site or find one in a junkyard, what is the difference between the 2WD and the 4WD version of that piece? Isn't the frame assembly the same between the 2WD and 4WD version, or Do I need the 4WD version only?

I live near Houston, TX and was wondering if any of ya'll might steer me in the direction of a shop that does good frame work.

Last edited by GShock75; 03-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Serious Question regarding frame