3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap Complete - 2002 4.7 to 2003 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 AM
03whiteram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
WhiteRam~ Thank you for serving our Country..I for one appreciate it. The Viet~Nam Vets didn't get the appreciation they deserved when they returned home , so every time I see someone with a Viet~Nam Shirt or hat on , I ask "Did you fight in Nam"? If he says yes , I thank him and shake his hand..I have a lot of respect for those guys..Or anyone who fights in a War , no matter how senseless ..

NOW~ For the question. If you use a 2003 ECM+TCM and wiring harness I don't think you'll have to worry about the front wheel speed sensor. I don't think 03's have 4 wheel ABS..BUT you might have to do the same thing I'm doing to get the cruise to work..4.7's have a vacuum type cruise control that works the throttle cable. Since a 5.7 has electronic throttle the cruise is also electronic...
I appreciate the support from back home. Thank you.

I have taken notes on yours and T-Muns swap and hopefully something will be figured out soon. Unfortunately, I cannot really do anything right now considering I am thousands of miles away, and, my swap still has some time to go. My 4.7 only has about 165k miles and less than 10k miles on the heads. So I can only study and reasearch what everyone else has done. Thanks to all of you guys who started this swap and made just a little bit easier for people interested in a hemi swap.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03whiteram
I appreciate the support from back home. Thank you.

I have taken notes on yours and T-Muns swap and hopefully something will be figured out soon. Unfortunately, I cannot really do anything right now considering I am thousands of miles away, and, my swap still has some time to go. My 4.7 only has about 165k miles and less than 10k miles on the heads. So I can only study and reasearch what everyone else has done. Thanks to all of you guys who started this swap and made just a little bit easier for people interested in a hemi swap.
Don't worry about anything at this point except coming home on two feet..there's a lot of work to do when you get ready..We'll get a Hemi in you're truck when you get home ,"Hopefully Soon"..
"God Bless America"....

Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Hey D~ Hows the 04' Harness coming along ? Hopefully well..
I just read this whole thread again. I forgot , we have the same truck..02' Ram..I hope you don't run into the same wiring problems I'm having with the A/C and cab light. I might need a little hand figuring it out..
You did a great job on you're swap , sometimes I try too hard to help. I forget the 4.7 Daks and 4.7 Ram wires aren't always the same .. You know more about Rams than I do..Thanks for everything...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM
mountaineer06

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
GREAT JOB!!! You don't know how many headaches you averted by using an '03 instead of an "04+ Hemi... err maybe you do... LOL...
i am planning the same conversion, and take it from your post to NOT use anything newer than a 2003 hemi, is that what you mean ? Thank you

Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 PM
mountaineer06

Originally Posted by chefred112
great job brutha...by bro in law is doing a hemi swap into a dak and he's in that research mode now...

how has this project come along ? I have a 2002 dak with a tired 4.7 and am researching how to convert to a hemi ? let me start with a basic question or two, if you dont mind.

will the hemi bolt to the bell housing on the auto trans I have behind my 4.7 ?

will the oem ECM run the hemi, or is a new computer/wiring hrness needed ?

Thanks for your help

Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
Hey D~ Hows the 04' Harness coming along ? Hopefully well..
I just read this whole thread again. I forgot , we have the same truck..02' Ram..I hope you don't run into the same wiring problems I'm having with the A/C and cab light. I might need a little hand figuring it out..
You did a great job on you're swap , sometimes I try too hard to help. I forget the 4.7 Daks and 4.7 Ram wires aren't always the same .. You know more about Rams than I do..Thanks for everything...
Still waiting on some other wiring. Had a guy that was going to send a bunch to me then someone came and bought the whole truck. Have to drive about an hour to get some wiring and other manual parts from another truck. I think we can probably help each other out once I get further along. I like being CEL free right so I intend to keep it that way

Originally Posted by mountaineer06
i am planning the same conversion, and take it from your post to NOT use anything newer than a 2003 hemi, is that what you mean ? Thank you
If you have a 2002 or 2003 4.7, it is much easier to convert to a 2003 hemi because of the way they are wired.
The later year hemi engine have better performance tuning options. 2003's are also known to have valve spring issues.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mountaineer06
how has this project come along ? I have a 2002 dak with a tired 4.7 and am researching how to convert to a hemi ? let me start with a basic question or two, if you dont mind.

will the hemi bolt to the bell housing on the auto trans I have behind my 4.7 ?

will the oem ECM run the hemi, or is a new computer/wiring hrness needed ?

Thanks for your help
Putting a hemi in a dakota is a bigger project. HemiDak-Quad (has posts in this thread) can give you more info about a dakota so you can prob pm him or check out the dakota hemi swap threads. You'll definitely need a pcm and wiring harness for the different sensors and pcm as well as a lot of custom wiring.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 PM
zbiggboy
Rookie

Love the old Mopar orange

Old 02-04-2012, 05:51 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Mountaineer06- You're 4.7 Transmission will bolt to a Hemi It's probably a 45rfe.. The ECM won't work . Wherever you get you're Motor from , You need to also get the ECM 04' and up "OR"-ECM and TCM If it's an 03,..Personally From my experience , I wouldn't get an 03'. Hemi..I have an 04, In my 02' Ram and I like it. It was a LOT easier doing a 04' Harness in my Ram..My Dakota had a 03' ECM ~ TCM seperate..
There are a few different Dakota Hemi Swap threads out here , and each person did his a different way. Yellow-Dak made his own oil pan , I notched my cross member. Knowledge is the key to this swap.The wiring is the major part of it all , The rest is just deciding which way you want to do it..I would read them all , and think about it..It's a great swap if you like your Dak and don't want to get rid of it..They should have made the Hemi an option for the Quad and extended Cabs..If you need help , I'll be glad to help you do it..

Old 02-04-2012, 05:54 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Look me up on Dakota Hemi Swap with pics. I don't want to be Hi~Jackin' someone elses thread...
Sorry T...

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap Complete - 2002 4.7 to 2003 5.7