3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sea Foam in your Dodge Ram.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Aberration
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like something you would more want to do on an annual or semi annual basis. A few hundred miles before the oil change.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
nussdawg395
Veteran

I've been reading and watching the youtube vids and am going to try this when it gets a lil warmer. I know a guy i work with swears by seafoam in the intake and does his annually and says it really does wonders and keeps his engine running smooth and strong. I'd say it cant be that bad if he does his annually and no adverse effects. just my thoughts.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used it in every vehicle (twice in the Ram). Sea Foam wants you to use it at every oil change. I generally do once a year (which is almost every oil change anyway).

Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM
gordie580
Professional

i used sea foam in my sonoma which had 135,000 on it.. never burned oil or had any problems. I put it in the oil 2 times a year. and I put it in the gas 2-4 times a year.... I have used it in everything I have not had any problems

Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 AM
ltmfb

I just ran one through my tank just as a preventive thing...along w/oil changes and have had 0 problems. I've also used it in my ATV's and motorcycles and have seen great results!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 AM
NHHEMI
Professional

I have used Seafoam for as long as I can remember through the vacuum line to clean the combustion chamber and in the crankcase to remove moisture/condensation, free sticking rings/valves/lifters, and even as a quick flush. I have used it in the gas tank as well as a cleaner, moisture remover, and fuel stabilizer. It is amazing stuff.

If it falls short anywhere, IMO, it is when added to the gas as a cleaner. I never felt it worked great for that. Great at removing moisture from fuel and stabilizing it but as a cleaner - eh. Other things that work better. However, through the vacuum line to clean the CC and added to the crankcase for the reasons mentioned it works amazingly well.

The key to Seafoam is to follow the mfg's directions and not fall victim to the "more has to be better" mind set so many people have. Used properly Seafoam does what the claims say.

Seafoam is made up of mainly of pale oil and naptha with a small amount of IPA( Isopropal alchohol ). It will not hurt anything in your vehicle, your boat, your atv, your snow mobile, or your yard equipment when used properly. IT isn't going to rot fuel lines and eat away at gaskets and seals. More harm would be done by the 10% ethanol in our fuel these days to your fuel system than an ounce or 2 of IPA in Seafoam. IPA is just dry gas and people have used that forever without any fuel system problems.

Seafoam was originally designed to be used in marine applications but it worked so well it transitioned over to automotive and other uses as well.

Last edited by NHHEMI; 03-09-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
jasonprox700

I just used it in my wife's 2005 Saturn Ion for the first time (I know, not a Dodge, but...). I place 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, and the rest I sucked up into the brake booster vacuum line. Besides the Seafoam, I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and throttle body.

The history: The car just turned over 100,000 miles. About 2 months ago, the mileage tanked. We went from averaging 32-35 mpg to 17-20. I replaced the plugs last weekend and that had no effect. So I went and picked up MAF sensor cleaner and Seafoam from the local United store this morning and ran it through the car as stated above.

Results: We put on a little over 100 miles tonight, and we didn't use a quarter tank of gas! We'll find out more once we burn through this next tank, but it looks promising. I'm planning on doing the same to my Hemi. Hopefully I see the same results!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:45 AM
areinike
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I have had some instances where fuel lines have deteriorated on me. Dunno if it was the Seafoam or just time, but I buy a 6' roll of fuel line for $4 which is a lot cheaper than a new engine, LOL..
Nope. Just the nature of the fuel lines. I had an old 1990 craftsman trimmer that I've had so long, I replaced the fuel lines about 5 times. I don't think it's the seafoam, but probably more the oil in the gas over time. RIP that little guy .. was a good trimmer but 20 years killed it finally. Now I have an echo ... ahhh ... another 20 years.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 AM
areinike
Veteran

Back on topic, forgot about that part. Personally, I'll wait until I have more mileage on my truck before considering, but I've heard mixed opinions, but one thing I will say is for those who have tried it, don't have anything negative to say about it. Worst I've heard was that it didn't feel like it did anything .. which is fine with me. I'd rather that than something worse.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Buggsy
Professional

I've used SeaFoam on every car I've owned. The day I bought my RAM (96K miles), it had less than a 1/4 tank of gas. I poured in one entire bottle of SeaFoam (directions say that one can treats like 8-24 gallons of fuel) in just before filling up. Like magic, I got 14 MPGs that tank, and the next. My Father in-law usually got 11 - 11.5 MPG. Not long after though, the temperature outside dropped and winter set in. I get about 12.5-13 in the winter. For me, it just speaks volumes about what it can do. In my wifes old Chrysler Cirrus (135K, miles), I did the full treatment of 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 in the intake. I saw no improvement in that car at all, but also no harm. I had to take the valve cover off the car before this to replace the gasket, and I could tell the engine was incredibly clean. I assume that car's problems were not gunk related. But I can say that I've never had a problem from Seafoam.

I do use Marvel Mystery Oil too. It's a lot cheaper than SeaFoam, so I buy that and use it in my small engines.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam in your Dodge Ram.