3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine cutsoff when idling in R or D and rpm too low

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 AM
Sweller3
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine cutsoff when idling in R or D and rpm too low

Hi,

I have searched forum for similar problems but I didn't get any clues what is wrong with my 06 1500 HEMI 4x4. I did clean EGR but not TB as i'm afraid I will make it worse

So, what it does is when you are at stop sign and it idles at around 525 rpm or in parking lot and turning steering wheel it simply stops the engine randomly with no MIL or anything... just "check instrument panel" or something like that - that red thing in left side of cluster panel :P as oil pressure obviously drops to start position

What I discovered is that if I turn wheel to the left, rpm drops below 500 to around 480 rpm or so (at that situation engine didn't stop)... To the right drop is less than 10rpm, this is possibly because of road situation or is something wrong with steering rack? Well it still doesn't explain egine cut at stop sign when i'm touching nothing at all. I'm just confused as hell...

And the worst part is that I dont even know that engine is dead until I want to press throttle peddal and nothing happens But it did this only twice... but again in very narrow time window (3 days). So there is something wrong, that is for sure... I have new spark plugs OEM NGK changed around 2k mi ago.

Truck has 104k mi on it.

So is there problem with to low rpm at idle (and sometimes it idles at 650 or so... hot or cold...). Oh and when it idles at 500rpm it so smooth I wanna fall to sleep

Outside temperature is around 32°F.

This is case on LPG or 95 octane fuel. Can't get 93 or less in my country :/ I'm from europe btw... So if you think there is problem in engine tuning... I will probably need to buy tuning device and change few settings if is there anything to change at all?

If I didn't told you enough info, please tell me so I can provide them to you.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:52 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't the tach drop to 0 when the engine quits? Anyway, it sounds like time to clean the throttle body and maybe Sea Foam it if you can get that stuff there. I forget - is there an IAC on it?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Sweller3
Amateur

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Doesn't the tach drop to 0 when the engine quits? Anyway, it sounds like time to clean the throttle body and maybe Sea Foam it if you can get that stuff there. I forget - is there an IAC on it?
Yes, it does drop to 0rpm

Then I will probably try to clean TB and get sea foam here...

I think there is no IAC as I looked on web...

Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
kristopher

My truck occasionally does the same thing. It idles really rough,but it seems like it only does it in real hot weather. My truck has done it since I bought it (only had 7000 miles.) Although mine has never stalled.

I know I didn't help at all. I just thought I'd keep the thread going.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Sweller3
Amateur

Originally Posted by kristopher
My truck occasionally does the same thing. It idles really rough,but it seems like it only does it in real hot weather. My truck has done it since I bought it (only had 7000 miles.) Although mine has never stalled.

I know I didn't help at all. I just thought I'd keep the thread going.
In some way you are helping It is good to know that apart from engine randomly cutting off, low rpm is normal behaviour... I looked into AutoData (europe car tehnical data database) and it says that idle rpm is 600+-100 rpm, so that is normal.

What about rpm drop on wheel movement (left/right)? Does it effect rpm when idle rpm is around 500 (for me rpm below 500, even for V8, is very strange thing )?

Last edited by Sweller3; 03-09-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Forgot explanation
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, certainly check and clean the backside of the TB.

Aside from that and resetting the PCM, you can get a tuner and bump up the idle in P and N

Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Sweller3
Amateur

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Yeah, certainly check and clean the backside of the TB.

Aside from that and resetting the PCM, you can get a tuner and bump up the idle in P and N

I will try to clean TB over the weekend... then I will report if it was succesfull

Oh, yesterday I had to repair one bolt that was broken.... hat of the bolt came off... Don't know when or how this happened but it was all green around bolt that was left in... It is not sensor on intake hose but the one in front-top of a engine between alternator and A/C pump. Hmmm is this intake manifold? I suppose it is and then this is MAP sensor? Well it was bolted with just one screw and it could move little...Don't know if this is source of my problems or not...
So I took another "good" old screw out (it was already coroded around head) as well and put two pcs of new galvanized bolts in

Quick Reply: Engine cutsoff when idling in R or D and rpm too low