3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Oil Filter Trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mopar Oil Filter Trouble.

Today I went to change my Moms oil for her an I've ran into some trouble. She has a 2007 Ram 1500 5.7. I've got the oil draining just fine, but I'm having trouble with the oil filter. It's a Mopar and the only number I can see on it is 69647A. The thing will not come off for anything. (Yes I'm turning it the right way) I tried my hands, but it didn't budge. So I got a filter wrench and tried it. I broke the handle and the side of the filter is caving in now. So now I've got a screwdriver stuck through it and its still not coming off. So...I'm out of ideas and was wondering if anybody on here had any. I know it shouldn't be this hard just to get an oil filter off. I'm thinking my Dad put the wrong filter on it when he changed it last or the threads have been damaged somehow. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had some pretty stubborn filters in my day. Generally those Quick Lube places tighten them on as much as they possibly can.
Anyways, I've had left of what appeared to be an oil filter only because it was all oily..lol Otherwise, it looked like a can opener got ahold of it. I had to keep using a screwdriver and working all the way around it. I thought for sure I was gonna get stuck in my driveway, but after an hour of beating on it, it let loose.

I'd say it's too late right now and you should just stick to it. Try spraying lube around the gasket as that might be welded to the surface preventing the filter from spinning since it's glued to the backside(most of the time..lol)

If the bottom isn't too mangled, they do sell direct-fit oil filter removers. It's a disc that slides over the bottom and uses the perforated edges like a socket would. Mine uses a 3/8" ratchet that gets inserted into it.

If push comes to shove, you could buy another clamp style filter wrench like you already broke and while a helper puts pressure on the filter(generally my knee), strike the filter with the screwdriver/hammer and it will turn. The two forces combined together is more than enough to get that thing off.

ALSO, 2007 5.7L filter is DIFFERENT than a 2008 filter. just so you are aware.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Well I'm taking a little break right now from it to cool off, but I'll hit it with some spray and try it again in a minute. Your exactly right about the filters being different. I always have to remind myself of that anytime I buy a filter for my Mom. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 PM
SilsHemi
All Star
Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

I finally got it off. I guess all my cussing finally broke its will. I'm gonna get one of those disk things you slide on and ratchet the filter off with before I do this again. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

i think spraying it made it harder. wouldnt that swell the gasket making it tighter?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N, man!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Markmm0000
i think spraying it made it harder. wouldnt that swell the gasket making it tighter?
I understand what you are saying, but no. An oil filter gasket is gas/oil resistant which will repel the P-oil for the most part. Some wil get absorbed but that is what I wanted for him because if the o-ring is fused to the metal, absorbing an ykind of P-oil would loosen that contact up and break it's tight grip. It would also break the outer edges that may have been crusted up.

Glad to hear you got it off. It took me many times of "bozo" work like you just had to go through before I ponied up and bought a descent oil filter removal set.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 AM
06Ramin
Amateur

The best tool I have ever had to remove oil filters is a thick Leather dickies belt from wal-mart...just put the end of the belt through the loop and put it around the filter and pull. Its the same general concept of a oil filter wrench, just easier to fit into tight spaces and easier to pull!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I know the feeling. Getting filters off my truck is no issue. But every time I change oil for my dad in his GMC 1500, the damn filter is like superglued and put on with an impact gun. Every time I have to drive a screw driver through it. Ive got chain wrenches, strap wrenches and even those cups you fit on the bottom and use a ratchet or breaker bar with and on his truc, because the filter is so close to the oil pan and exh, all you can use are those cups and they slip every time.

Quick Reply: Mopar Oil Filter Trouble.