3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dealer Says Front and Rear Diff Fluid at 12K?..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
alexanderc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did all the maintenance on my previous vehicle, and I had to document the dates, and I even kept the receipts for the parts. As long as you document it, they usually are ok.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM
haulinhemi06
Rookie

i had the stealership do this service at 30000 when i was getting a strut replaced. its a $300 service but i think parts was something like $30. no kidding. i was not happy when i saw the bill. they havent touched my truck since then.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 AM
NHHEMI
Professional

You can do your own maintenance or have it done at an independant shop under the law( Magnuson-Moss Act of 1974 ). You are not required to use OEM parts and fluids either. Neither of those will void your warranty UNLESS the car mfg requires they be done at a dealer using OEM parts/fluids AND provides it free. That is what warranty work is but it can also apply to maintenance at times as well. BMW for instance has at times required this for regular maintenance but it was free to the car owner. Just be advised if you use say an aftermarket oil filter and it fails up and blows your engine Dodge is going to send you to see the oil filter mfg. They are not going to cover the failure under warranty if it wasn't a MOPAR filter. However, if you use an aftermarket oil filter and a bearing fails but it can't be traced to nor blamed on the fiilter it does not void your warranty and Dodge covers it. Hope that is clear.

Now, with that said, you the owner have some responsibilities to preserve that warranty still. The 1st being you have to use the correct part/fluid for your vehicle. Let's use your F&R diff service as the example. You need to use the correct fluid( 75W-140 rear and 75W-90 front - GL5 rated synthetics )and you need to do the service on time. For 95%+ of people they fall under service schedule B not A as well FYI.

Service schedule B includes( from the 07 manual )...

Follow schedule “B” if you usually operate your vehicle under one or more of the following conditions.

Day or night temperatures are below 32° F (0° C).
Stop and go driving.
Extensive engine idling.
Driving in dusty conditions.
Short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km).
More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 90° F (32° C).
Trailer towing.
Snowplowing.
Heavy Loading.
Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial service).
Off-road or desert operation.

Unless you live in an area that ahs no traffic of any kind, that never gets hot or cold, and you do nothing but easy highway driving you fall under schedule B. Schedule A is some kind of fantasy world where no one I know of lives.

So schedule B means the fluids need to be changed every 15K. And for what it is worth anyone who goes more than 30K max before changing the faxle luids is asking for trouble. I don't care what any car mfg claims there is no fluid out there that is lifetime service. Not tranny, not coolant, not axle, etc... They all have a finite service life. It amazes me that Dodge doesn't even list having you check the axle fluids never mind change them in schedule A. The rear axle especially( 9.25 )is hard on gear oil and needs to be changed regularly even under easy/normal conditions.

Change the F&R diff every 15K for maximum life and protection. Extend to 30K if you must but do not go past that.

Now, back to you doing it yourself. In addition to using the right parts/fluids and changing it on time make sure you keep accurate records to prove you did so. Keep the parts receipts that show what you used and keep any receipt from the shop you have do the work. Make sure it indicates the mileage, date, and clearly shows your vehicle was what was worked on. If you do this work yourself keep those parts receipts and make a maintenance log book up and record what was done and when( i.e. date and mileage ).

It is very important if you have a big ticket item fail to be able to show you did what you are required to. If the dealer has no record of you ever having the F&R diff serviced and your rear end grenades at 70K trust me they are going to ask you show you have done so or good luck getting it covered. Doesn't have to be MOPAR lube and the dealer didn't have to do it but you best have used 75W-140 synthetic and it better have been done on time. Again, they will claim schedule B. You can argue A but it won't work. If you say you are schedule A then plan on 30K services.

$300 for a F&R service is not completely out of line as that is parts and labor and the OE fluids are expensive. I would say maybe $250 is more realistic. 12K is not the recommended service interval but I actually do my 1st change around 10K on a new vehicle as there is a ton of break in crud inside the pumpkins. It hurts nothing to do that 1st service early. Actually it is a benefit. I strongly advise you, even if you plan on doing 30K+ intervals to do at least one early on here. It will only benefit you in the long run.

Last edited by NHHEMI; 03-15-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 AM
BigBlue07
Amateur

NHHEMI thanks a lot for that write up, that is a huge help and answered a lot of my questions especially about the warranty.

I fall under schedule "B" only cause of the below 32 degree temps and some stop and go driving. I've owned the truck for almost two years now and have only put 13,800 miles on it. I don't get to drive it much due to work, and believe me most of those miles are easy highway miles.

I will change the fluid at 15K though like many of you recommended, I found a reliable mechanic who said he can do it for 200-250 depending on which fluid I want to use.

All that advice on maintaining the vehicle myself is very helpful too, I'll be sure to keep records of it all as I do it.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Dealer Says Front and Rear Diff Fluid at 12K?..