3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bilstein 5100 vs Bilstein HD

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
07Hemiman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Bilstein 5100 vs Bilstein HD

Hi guys,

Great info on here! I did the necessary searches on here before i asked. I have an 07 HEMI 1500 QC 4X4 with 67,000. I bought the truck used 2 yrs ago with 47K on it. I tow a boat a good bit during spring and summer and i'm loaded down a fair amount in the fall 4 hunting trips.

Dealer told me my extended warranty doesnt cover my coilover shocks or the outer tierod ends on the front of my truck. Had a mechanic buddy diagnose my clunking problem to be wasted front shocks and outer tie rod ends. As well as, warped rotors and bad pads.

Couple Q's: Do i need a spring compressor to change the shock? If so where do i get one(hopefully rent)?

Whats better for my application as stated above: Bilstein 5100's or Bilstein HD's. Pretty close to a $100 diff at shockwarehouse for the complete sets of 4. Money is tight, but i dont wanna skimp and put on cheap sh%#$ and not be happy.

Is this a job my buddies and i can tackle in a reasonable amount of time? I have access 2 the needed tools and a lift also?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Jeremy

Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM
jorgysram
Amateur

i would go with the 5100's,i have them up front on my 06, running generic rough country shocks on the rear.... but the ride has never been better on the truck, was planing on getting the 5100's for the rear also but with the add-a-leafs and blocks i gotta get custom ones. your going to need a spring compressor for the front coil overs, and im not sure where you could get one we have on in our shop here on post, the other thing about the 5100's is if you get the right ones you can adjust the ride height by changing the location of the lower spring perch

Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most "discount parts stores" around here, like Autozone, Advanced Auto, and Murrays/O'reilly's you can "rent" them for free...You have to pay the cost to replace the tool as a deposit, but get it all back when you return the tool in good condition with no missing parts. If you don't have that option near you, I'd check out Harbor Freight Tools if you have one near you, they have very good prices for tools as long as you are only using them every once in a while. There are some items I'd NEVER consider purchasing there, but specialty items like this are usual decent quality for home owner use. Hope this helps.

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 03-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
07Hemiman
Default Thanks!

Appreciate the info guys. I do have a few auto parts and a harbor freight by me, so i will have to call around and see if i can get my hands on a compressor.

Also, any recommendations on where to buy outer tie rods? I seen some post that mentioned MOOG greasables, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM
jorgysram
Amateur

i would recomend getting them from rockauto.com, im about to do a set on my truck thats where ive seen the best prices on them

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 vs Bilstein HD