3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Ford commercial.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:53 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Ford commercial.

ORIGINAL: mopartodd
Ford is just trying to justify that heafty price tag on those trucks since they can't out tow, outrun, look better, or whatever else you can come up with over a Dodge.
Funny thing is all they can come up with is:

1. Frame diameter. Once again, this comes down to design. One can have a big, but thin frame or a slightly smaller but thicker frame.
2. Tailgate weight. Trucks are driven mostly by men. Men that can lift a damn tailgate.
3. Door flex. Funny how they didn't show a close up of the Ford. The Ford does the same thing. I know cause I tried it.
4. Bed bolts. Funny how 4 grade 8 bolts that hold on my hitch can tow up to 12K pounds and I'm worried about same size bolts holding on the bed, albeight 2 more on the bed?
5. Outboard mounted shocks. I'd tear those up on sticks and limbs in no time flat. Not to mention that there is a small amount of room for bigger and better shocks.

It is also funny how mechanical stuff never came up about the Dodge. Yup, Dodge has a bigger radiator, more oil capacity, same size ring and pinion, etc, etc...

This is what my buddy thinks of Ford

[IMG]local://upfiles/12955/D6E928F857084E2D9F8671663338279E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 PM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

I have been a ford fan for many years and still am. I started to get all cought up on the whole advertisement of what is slighly better in one department circle jerk, but ya know what. My Dodge has done everything and then some. Its towed a boat and five people, hauled a yard of sand, hauled a bunch of crap, taken 6 people to lunch (including myself), etc.... And the kicker of it all is I got it fully loaded and saved over 5k on what a new ford comprably equiped was. Wow, saved enough money on the truck I got a boat too. I ve got over 5k on her now without missing a beat. Ford is advertising 500 dollars in home depot packages with there truck, Dodge should just show their truck with a free used boat, since I saved enough to buy one. Hmmmm, 500 in crappy tools that I already have or a boat???? All I can say is anchors away.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:44 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I hear ya Hemi Off Road. I'm not against any of the full size truck manufacturers. I think that they all make a decent p'up, however, I like my Dodge the best. My family and my wife's family drive all Fords. I probably would have bought a Ford instead of my Dodge and probably been just as happy. It is just the price points that kept me with Dodge. I also worked at a Dodge dealer most recently before school and got it for below invoice, not including rebates. I had the opportunity for the A plan with Ford (2% below invoice) and there was still too big a gap. Like $4000 if I remember correctly. That's a lot of dough. Pizza anyone?

Old 06-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Phatboy
Professional

I dont think there will ever be a true side by side comparison. The only comparison you see in most rags is the ones between newer models of pick ups. I think 4Wheeler magazine usually gives their 4Wheeler of the year award to which ever 4x4 is the newest design. Then the next year a new model would come out and they wouldnt even compare it to the last years winner.

I personally like a couple of other trucks, I have even been looking at trading my 04 for an 05, however the local Dodge dealers are giving me quite the work over on my 04 for a trade. So if I dont sell it outright to someone I will be stuck in it.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:12 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i cant believe that someone else noticed this...i asked amanda the same thing...the dodge piece is also fully boxed...just because the frame is made to hold 200,000 pounds or whatever...[:@]

ford...

former
owners
recommend
dodge.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:36 AM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

the whole frame piece on the commercial doesnt hold merit unless they gave the specifics such as:

wall thickness
material
heat treatment if any
size
length

material is the biggest thing they left out. The modulus of elasticity is the main feature you are intested in. This is a ratio of the stress over strain in the material. I dont doubt that the ford is the stiffest frame around in a 1/2 ton, however if you read up, many ford owners are griping that it is too stiff since the bed is a hard mount, it has a tendeancy to jar the truck when on rough roads. Stiff doesnt always mean better. Some flex in the frame is good. The biggest reason for a stiff frame is because it makes the supension work more and also can alow for designers to better predict how the suspension will work. If a frame flexes alot, designers must incorporate this into their design. Lengh is mainy a factor because in engineer calculations it is known as a beam. Differnt forces act around a moment and can be used to calculate deflection. The wall thickness can be used along with shape to add to the stiffness factor. Theoretically, a smaller mount of material further away from the center is ideal for stiffness.

The whole bolt in the bed commercial is completely bogus. They showed a stainless bolt in a double shear situation. A stainless bolt, depending on treatment might have a shear stress of about 45 ksi or more commonly known as 45000 psi. The equation for shear stress is load divided by area (area being the cross sectional area of the bolt at its shear location). Gravity is negligable since the acceleration of the truck upwards is extremly slow. If you do the math using the trucks weight of 5000lbs you will find out that just about any bolt from a hardware store with the same size will do the trick for their commercial. Kinda makes you laugh

Old 06-29-2005, 11:05 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good info. and smart marketting because "Billy bob" is just going to take that quate to work and tell his Dodge and chevy buddies he has the strongest bolts so ford is better.

Outboard mounted shocks.................. Gimme a break.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:35 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

do you notice all that ford brags about is the frame? they'll probly come out with another commercial that says "did you know ford f-150 with the 5.4l v8 is faster than dodge ram 3500 dualie?"

Old 06-29-2005, 06:26 PM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

I am not here to defend Ford advertisement by any means, you can see my post above that should prove that. Outboard mounted shocks do have benefit. By moving the shocks outboard, it gives them more leverage on the axle. Again, think of this as the axle being a beam and taking a moment about one wheel. This gives the capabiltie to use a softer shock that still reduces body roll. It really does work. So much that the new Tacoma followed suit. I know that it seems that Dodge fans are mostly a stick to the basics type of person, but some of these things really do work. I hate to say it but, you are going to see more of the outboard shocks, quiet steel, composite beds, oversize frames, tailgate assist, etc... WHY? well for some it really does work, for some others it may just because it makes a soccer mom feel better when she shifts into 4x4 because the parking lot has gravel in it. Some may make you laugh and some may make you say WTF? Some reasons may just be because it saves the company money all while giving the manufacture a reason to make you bend over. Hydroforming of frames not only makes a stronger frame but is cheeper in cost to make. Do you think that the manufacture will pass that savings on to you? Hell no. Instead they will advertise the great benefits to you on some tv commercial using an overpaid country music singer to preach to you that its alot better with newer technology hoping that you might shell out the few extra grand on it. That is reality. Is the ford frame stiffer and stronger than the Dodge? Most likely. Does this meen I need a Ford? NO. The advertisements are there a for a reason, some may have merit, and some may not. I wouldnt go bashing other trucks because they use a newer smarter design, because most likely your trucks replacement most likely will have the same. Only then it will probably be the greatest thing since sliced bread, all while saying, " Why didnt someone think of this before?". While in reality it was there all along.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Mach Daddy

Here's something that's just a little funny ... I ordered my new, '05 Power Wagon from a Ford dealer. They actually did a dealer trade with their Dodge dealer in the DFW area.

Quick Reply: New Ford commercial.