3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changed my sparkplugs today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:15 AM
hemiAK
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed my sparkplugs today...

well I finally got around to tackling the task of changing the sparkplugs on my truck today haha. To my surprise it wasnt as bad as I was thinking it was going to be at all. the whole process only took about an hour and a half. after reading all the threads about changing the plugs on these I was real nervous about doing it, but it went real smooth and easy, didnt have to fight any plugs being seized in the heads or anything like that. so to anybody thats thinking about taking theirs to the dealer to have the plugs changed id say give it a shot yourself its really not all that bad.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Brandonc24

Thanks man, it is something I have been debating myself because I have heard many people say it is difficult. I will definitely give it a try though.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 AM
hemiAK
Amateur

yeah best piece of advice i can give you is to not get frustrated and just take your time. it can get irritating trying to get to the very back plugs closest to the firewall but just keep your cool and everything.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:45 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

An hour and a half? Man that's record time. It took me 4 hours and I am fairly mechanically inclined. What's your secret? Considering you have to take the intake system off, remove all of the COP's, pull all 16 plugs, gap all of the new plugs correctly, throw anti-seize on all of the threads, install the plugs and reinstall the COP's and entire intake system that's one hell of a task to complete in 1.5 hrs. I'm not being facetious when I say damn, that's fast work.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Blacksport
Captain

It took me a good 2 hours...mind you, my plugs were easy to get out, and I had the proper tools to do the back plugs(my neighbor is a mechanic and has all the tools you need!)

Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
lrnintendo
Amateur

On my 07 it took me about 1 1/2. The only time consuming part of the process were the plugs on the drivers side group number 3 right under the master cylinder. Other than that I was originally going to take it to a good friend that used to be a dodge mechanic and he even said that it will be a PITA. Patience is a virtue.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Blacksport
Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
An hour and a half? Man that's record time. It took me 4 hours and I am fairly mechanically inclined. What's your secret? Considering you have to take the intake system off, remove all of the COP's, pull all 16 plugs, gap all of the new plugs correctly, throw anti-seize on all of the threads, install the plugs and reinstall the COP's and entire intake system that's one hell of a task to complete in 1.5 hrs. I'm not being facetious when I say damn, that's fast work.
Maybe you had a few extra beers in between?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Haha maybe. I do like my beers while I'm working on the truck.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Originally Posted by bgbluram2
Haha maybe. I do like my beers while I'm working on the truck.
Cheers!!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 PM
mleach82

When i did my plugs about a month ago i found it easiest to take the front drivers side wheel and wheel well out to get to the 4 plus under the master cylinder.

Quick Reply: changed my sparkplugs today...