3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

in dash "P R N D 2 1" all are selected??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:03 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coastierider
Disconnect battery, disconnect transmission 23-way connector (drivers side next to linkage) then spray it out with "wire-dry" or similar electrical contact spray.. wait a few minutes, then reconnect everything and then tsee if it fixes it. I had the same problem after removing the valve body from the trans, the connector was dirty and not connected properly, the truck would not start and had all the in dash gears selected with the squares around it... it might work, might not, but it only takes a few minutes to try...
Where exactly is this connector? Near the driver's side wheel well? Which linkage are you referring to?

Also, the thought came across my mind - did you try pulling the battery for a sec just to reset everything to see if that had an effect first? It would be nice to know if you actually isolated that problem to a bad connection at that connector. If not it may have just been coincidental that you disconnected the battery and cleaned the connection at the same time.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 AM
coastierider
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The connector is on the left side of the transmission next to the shifter cable;

Yes, as far as im aware, disconnecting the battery resets the Trans control module, i sprayed the connector because there was some dirt in there.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coastierider
Disconnect battery, disconnect transmission 23-way connector (drivers side next to linkage) then spray it out with "wire-dry" or similar electrical contact spray.. wait a few minutes, then reconnect everything and then tsee if it fixes it. I had the same problem after removing the valve body from the trans, the connector was dirty and not connected properly, the truck would not start and had all the in dash gears selected with the squares around it... it might work, might not, but it only takes a few minutes to try...
It is a big connector, and the starter actually grounds through this plug. You will need to slip a plastic red locking device up a bit, then you should be able to swing the climping bar a bit, and then finally remove the connector plug. I jumpered the starter grounding wire when I was attempting to ensure I could disconnect the plug and still drive the truck (for a future manual tranny swap). I could, but all the gear selector lights were on, as described above. On my 07, the yellow/darkblue wire was the starter ground. I also got a CEL and 4 tranny codes (for those who might be curious) Are any of you getting codes when this happens?

The following users liked this post:
Emmanuel Drappier (01-19-2020)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:54 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the trick is:

hold the tripometer button, and turn the ignition on- but don't hit the starter..

watch your cluster.. it will go through a series of tests for chassis codes (ccodes).. hopefully, it isolates an issue for you.. and is a good place to start.. the codes start with C, and aren't to be confused with P codes....

Old 04-01-2016, 05:59 AM
BigHorn70
Rookie

I got the same problem, somebody have find the issue. I am living in belgium and would be great if i can find it myself.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:20 AM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey this was a simple ground issue which seems to be the most common other than a weak battery. The ground straps on the trucks commonly corrode and tear. Also the terminal ends of the grounds wires get surface corrosion and no longer ground properly. Make sure you have good grounds from battery to chassis, chassis to motor, etc. If someone looks under the hood while you start the truck you may see some sparks/arcing due to the bad grounds. This is the simplest fix besides checking the battery. Bad BCM isn't very common.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:00 PM
BigHorn70
Rookie

Ok sir. Have you already experiment such issue? I got a yello wire connected to the starter, sending the signal i think to crank. Where goes this yello wire? Dont see trough many cables.

I will check tomorrow, hoping u are right. Thanks for your help

Old 04-03-2016, 07:24 AM
BigHorn70
Rookie

I tried to clean the ground to the engine. It seems for me that it resolve the problem. I will test it on further days and post if it is fixed

Old 04-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Bmouyos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground issue!

Check and clean the ground connection on the engine block just to the left of the electrical connector and lines on the transmission ( standing in front of vehicle) under exhaust 13 mm nut

Last edited by Bmouyos; 04-21-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:07 PM
BigHorn70
Rookie

Yes, my problem is fixed. It was a simple ground issue. Check the ground/motor and clean it. After that put some car grease to avoid rust in future. If this was not this ground, do the same on other ground

Quick Reply: in dash "P R N D 2 1" all are selected??