3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS/Brake light - intermittent speedo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM
apocalight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/Brake light - intermittent speedo

Hey all,

My dad's RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi has a constant amber ABS/Red Brake light on. The speedo will sometimes work, and sometimes it will not.

I pulled the connectors going to the ABS unit. The smaller one looked great. The larger one had a lot of moisture in it, and the far left two plugs on the top and bottom (looking at the inside of the connector) were completely rusted. Enough so that when I pull slightly on the wires, they came out with pieces of their connectors.

One thing I noticed is that these two wires on the top/bottom left don't have any pins to plug into on the cooresponding ABS relay. The relay has 6 pins across on both the top and bottom, and the connector has 7 pins, with the far left two (standing at the driver fender looking down at it) going into nothing. The wires are red with a green stripe, both the same color. What do these go to? Do they simply feed into themselves?

Anyone have a wiring diagram? I'm wondering if I can reconnect these two wires outside the relay for now until I can find the proper pins to do it right, but I'd like to see a diagram if anyone has one.

Additionally, assuming this ISN'T the issue, would the rear speed sensor typically be the culprit?

Is there a method to resetting the lights? I did replace a blown towing/brake fuse, unplugged the battery for 15 mins and restarted, but the lights persisted.

Thanks all so much!

Dylan

Last edited by apocalight; 03-26-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Editing wire color
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM
apocalight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using a mirror to look into the relay plug-in, it looks as if there SHOULD be 7 pins across top and bottom and that perhaps the connectors into the relay popped off upon removal. Can anyone confirm the big ABS relay should have 7 pins across top and bottom instead of 6?

Additionally, can this relay be replaced independent of the entire ABS controller, or is it all in on?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: ABS/Brake light - intermittent speedo