3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering rack questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 PM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack questions

So my steering rack is making a squeaking noise when the wheel is turned. The noise seems to be coming right in the upper part where the steering shaft goes into the rack. It is not popping, the sound is like gears squeaking. I used a small hollow tube to hear the sound. A mechanic friend of mine suggested oulling the dust shield back and sguiting grese into it using a needle (i have one) at the end of the grese gun. Coul this actually work? There is some grese under the cap already,i will at least try adding more. But even if I can get the needle into it, i am afraid to go to rar into where the fluid goes. Should i just replace the rack? I can do that, but id rather not have to if possible. Is there anything I should look out for it I have to replace it?? What do you all think? I already replaced the pump, I used the correct fluid.

Quick Reply: Steering rack questions