3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is the name of the seal - where to buy it

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 AM
peecee78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the name of the seal - where to buy it

2002 4.7 RAM 1500 SLT

Hello
Finally i found out that my driver side head is cracked - the engine is striped and now i wait for one head to be send to me from USA (i live UK). While stripping the engine i damaged one of the seals and can not find replacement - it is the orange one (triangle shape at the top of the engine block + picture show that seal yellow).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please can you direct me with seal number or link to place i can buy it online

THNX

Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 AM
JDG103
Veteran

dont know the name of it...but if i was you, i would get some RTV and make my own gasket IMO

Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
slimvela
Professional

EDIT: I forgot that there is a production change for the 2002 4.7's.

If yours was built before 5/13/2002 it is the one piece gasket plate.

If it was built 5/14/2002 or later then you can in fact change just the triangular shaped gasket, as well as the 2 circle gaskets, by themselves.

As you can see both kits will also come with a Front Crankshaft Seal. So you need to figure that out the production date of the vehicle prior to ordering.

Although I have heard that either will work, was told it was easier/cheaper to produce the newer version rather than the plate gasket setup.

For vehicles built before 5/13/2002 the orange/yellow gasket is actually bonded to a metal plate that is also bonded to the other gaskets, orange/yellow circles and larger gasket. They form what is called the timing cover gasket. Comes as a kit, includes the crankshaft seal as well, which is pressed into the cover. Most U.S. auto parts retailer should carry the kit.

Last edited by slimvela; 04-04-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the name of the seal - where to buy it