3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
SLAKKER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Replacement

2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SB 4x4
5.7L Hemi

The engine is trashed, so I have an almost new 5.7L Hemi being delivered from an '07 Ram.
So according to the mechanic and others, the main difference here is the MDS equipped engine going into my non-MDS equipped truck. Sounds easy enough to disable the MDS.

But.... How complicated would it be to make my truck MDS enabled? new ECM? wiring harnesses? etc? Mechanic seems to feel its going to be a lot of work to go in this direction over just disabling the MDS (plugging it I believe was his explanation). And, is it worth it? Is the gas mileage any better? I was averaging 13.9 mpg.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM
freestyledude
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a guy who just put a 2008 hemi into an 03, he just bolted it straight up and it worked great, didn't mess with the MDS and just left it disabled. You will have way too much work involved to get the MDS working, plus most guys just disable it with tuners anyway. Sounds like MDS only works to save mpg's on paper

Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You could change out the MDS lifters for non-MDS lifters and do it that way and keep the 05 PCM and engine harness or find and buy an 06+ PCM and engine harness.

Welcome to the site and where are you located?

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement