3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carbon steel or stainless headers?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
h3bubba79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon steel or stainless headers?????

I want to get LT headers and i know a bunch of you on here are running the Pacesetter LT headers on this board, some coated and some not. what is the life expectancy of a set of Jet hot coated headers versus bare stainless? i know stainless is the best, but for the price, it is kind of expensive (304, not the 409 stuff). I looked at the OBX stainless, but i just can;t bring myself to buy Chinese crap. i have too much stuff already that says "Made in China." I want to buy American.

How hard is it to put Magnaflow cats on the Pacesetter y-pipe?

I'm looking to do this install all myself and would like to hear from as many of you as possible before i drop 2K on a whole new exhaust system.

thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Half the time it makes no difference to buy what you think is American. I bought my tires from Pirelli which is American but the tires are made in Brazil.

Carbon steel will rust. Jet hot coating them is mainly to keep the heat inside the tube and out the rear of the pipe. Sure rust prevention is also a part of it also

Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
h3bubba79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone......................

Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What else are you wanting to know? The cats will work but most guys get CELs from after market cats and have to use non-foulers.

The end of the Pacesetters will be 3". What is the inlet or outlet on your cats? You may have to use reducers to get the to fit. You can either weld them in place or clamp them but welding is best.

You can keep and use the OEM cats. Are you going true duals or need a X/H/Y pipe? What mufflers are you going to use? What about tips or turn downs?

New headers - 400
new mufflers - 75-100
X/H pipe - 30
Y pipe - ??
tips - ??
OEM cats - x

Why not let a shop weld everything together for you?

Quick Reply: Carbon steel or stainless headers?????