3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Kamel87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor

its been a while since i posted anything but i think this will be a good note to come back on.

i got a '03 4.7L and i had the absolute worst tick/knock/midget with a hammer banging on my block noise coming from the right side of the motor. so i decided to pull it and rebuild it. i was hesitant at first this being my first motor pull but i figured it couldnt be to bad. help i have been attending UTI for the last 4 months. ripping the motor out was as bad as i thought took about 6 hours across 2 days the trans was not being nice lol. took it to a shop on the west side of the state of michigan and in 2 days they had the motor tore down and rebuilt. new cam, timing, crank was shaved down, new bearings, block was bored .030 over, new piston, rings, bigger oil pump, rebuilt heads with new seats, and a pretty nice paint job. only performance parts i got where a set of headers. so far im about 2700 dollars into it. which doesnt seem that bad. tomorrow or the day after ill upload some pics

any advice/point on the reinstall would appreciated.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 PM
freestyledude
Captain

For reinstall I'd recommend using ratchet straps front/rear to adjust the angle of the engine on the hoist, gets it straighter. Make sure all the wiring is in the right place before you set the motor on top and have to shift everything around. I just threaded in the two main bell housing bolts to get it centred, and put it on the motor mounts. Sometimes a jack under the tranny helps too (use a block of wood under the pan to spread out the pressure)
Now's a good time to do a efan install as well, I did mine with the rad laying on the floor and it was much easier

Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Kamel87
Professional

i bought the controller for the fan it arrived today and tomorrow im picking up the fan lol it was the first mod i wanted to do

thanks for the advice on the straps it was a pain pulling it as soon as it broke free from the trans it tilted forward i guess where i had it hooked up it wasnt centered

Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Gone are the gold old days of using a cherry picker with an engine tilter

Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

I'd try to have two buddies on hand at least till it's lined up.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Crescent1101

That doesn't sound like a lot of money for what you are getting. One day I would like to pull my engine.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM
freestyledude
Captain

It is tough getting something to pull off of on these motors. I put straps all the way under the motor and under the harmonic balancer, they were the only real anchor points

Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, a plastic intake just isnt as good as as old metal one

Quick Reply: New motor