3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

seafoam treatment

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Denniss66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam treatment

Has anyone on here done a sea foam treatment and if so how do i go about doing it i got an 03 1500 5.7L?

Also what exactly does the seafoam do?

Old 04-16-2011, 01:30 PM
kvsmith2004
Veteran
Old 04-16-2011, 05:40 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Details are on the can - 1/3 in the intake via the brake booster vacuum hose, 1/3 in the gas tank and 1/3 in the crankcase (if an oil change is in the immediate future). Let the vacuum slurp up the 1/3 (have someone keep it wound up, 'cause it'll want to stall), shut it off and let it sit a good five minutes. Start 'er up and watch the show.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Follow the directions on the can. Used as per manufacturers directions it is a great product that has been around since the 1930s. Just don't over-do it...

Old 04-17-2011, 04:34 AM
Ripperace

Hey people! I'm a newb to the forum and wanted to drop my opinion on Seafoam. Seafoam is a great product. I've used it since I went to the local vocational school 20 years ago. There, I took small engine repair, and mainly worked on lawn and garden equipment and outboard motors. Everyone else was screwing with motorcycles and didn't want anything to do with outboards and Gravelys, so those all got assigned to me to work on. I now operate my own shop working on the L+G stuff, along with marine, and minor automotive. I don't have all the diagnostic equipment to fool with much of the newer stuff, and don't get that much to justify spending the cash on an OTC Genesys or a Snap-On diagnostic unit.

Anyway Seafoam can also be used as a fuel stabilizer. It works great as a decarboning agent if you use it wisely. Most people that I've ever heard of blowing head gaskets used too much while the engine was running. I've seen it happen before. They'll dump 1/2 to a whole can down a carb to make it happen. If you just dump the can in, yeah, I can see blowing a head gasket. But if you dump it in a conservative manor, it works great. I use it before I tear into the internals of any engine to clean it out, and it's never left me disappointed.

I've heard of adding transmission fluid to the crankcase oil, but was always reserved because of one: viscosity difference, two: A transmission isn't subject to carbon deposits like an engine. I've heard it works great, but never tried it.

Ripper

Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
JDG103
Veteran

ya ive heard of seafoam doin good and blowing gaskets...and ive heard that ATF is good to...but im really questionin if i should do the seafoam to my truck

Quick Reply: seafoam treatment