3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 PM
mattman0o0o
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 oil leak

Hi all, I have an '05 with the 5.7 hemi and I've been having this issue for awhile now. It has an oil leak coming from where the balancer mounts to the crankshaft. I've replaced the seal 2 times and even replaced the balancer with a factory new one since the original had a groove worn in it. With a new balancer and seal its still leaking, it seems it leaks some drops and spins them off onto to everything around it. There are no modifications to the engine and I am not running synthetic. The only idea I have left is that maybe theres an excess build up of pressure in the engine somewhere causing oil to push out through that seal. Any help / ideas are appreciated.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You sure that there isn't a small leak at the front of the oil pan and it is getting blown around by the fan or maybe a crack in the timing cover? Just throwing out ideas.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site. What tools are you using to install the front seal? Could you be damaging it?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
mattman0o0o
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome. Im sure its coming from between the seal and tbe shaft. Ive cleaned it all off a few times let it run a bit then crawled under and you can see where it has started to come out. I suppose its possible ive been damaging the seal... Ive been using a seal installation, driver tool each time though. I apprreciate the ideas. Any possibility of a faulty pcv valve maybe? I took it out and it still rattles, which is the normal pcv test... Thanks again

Quick Reply: 5.7 oil leak