3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airbag questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Dave M
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the bottom pictured set up, It's called "round bar" because the bars come down then turn. Some say there is no difference some say you can tow more with the "straight bars". They are both rated the same as far as weight goes. What size is the frame on your trailer. It must be a small frame if you only have 2 links showing and the bars are not passed the bottom of it. With the 8" frame and 5 links showing the bars are about 2' up the from the bottom. The instructions that came with it only told me how to set up a 4"or 6" frame. I had to call with a question and the guy on the phone said I was going to really have to crank it up hard.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave M
I have the bottom pictured set up, It's called "round bar" because the bars come down then turn. Some say there is no difference some say you can tow more with the "straight bars". They are both rated the same as far as weight goes. What size is the frame on your trailer. It must be a small frame if you only have 2 links showing and the bars are not passed the bottom of it. With the 8" frame and 5 links showing the bars are about 2' up the from the bottom. The instructions that came with it only told me how to set up a 4"or 6" frame. I had to call with a question and the guy on the phone said I was going to really have to crank it up hard.
I can't remember for sure the size of the trailer frame, but 8 inches sounds about right...it may be the difference in hitch styles that mine doesn't cross the bottom of the frame, or it is possible you may have something set up wrong (or maybe I do, but it's always worked great for me), or maybe it has to do with the height of the hitch itself due to a difference in my trailer and your trailer...like I said, I'll try to get mine hooked up and snap a pic for ya, then we can go from there if you still have questions

Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Dave M
Rookie

Thanks for the good info. I'll take pictures of mine this weekend. How about the head? Do you recall which way it tilts?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

LXMan1 posted a pic of his in another thread

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post2489594

looks like the style hitch you have, and looks like he has it set up just like I have mine, so compare to how you have yours set up and see if you might have misunderstood the instructions and goofed something up or whatever. Also for reference, my trailer frame looks like about twice of his, and by his pic, it appears that the trunnion bars would pass the bottom of the frame, so it is probably having to do with the different styles of hitches as to why you cross the frame and I don't...Also, no offense to him, you, or anyone else with the round bar style hitch, but my hitch seems to look A LOT beefier where the bars hook into the hitch...so maybe that is why your instructions say not to go more than 5 links or whatever, cuz it may put too much shearing stress on the connection, where as mine (looking) beefier, it may be able to handle it much better

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 04-25-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Dave M
Rookie

I just saw that picture and was going to post it here to discuss. It looks to me like that is a 4" frame. Now I'm just guessing judging by the lights and brackets so I could be wrong. He has 7 or 8 links showing. Now it kind of looks like if you doubled the size of his frame, his bars would be just above or at the the frame bottom. It is hard to judge by the picture but It looks like that to me. Now if you count down 5 links from the top, like I had mine set, his bar would be right at the bottom of frame, which would be about 3" inches up a 8" frame. That set up is prbly a lighter rated one. Mine is rated for 1200lbs and looks beefier than the one here. Maybe that is like an 800lb set up. This weekend I'll start fresh again, take some pictures, and re-read the instructions. Maybe I did screw something up.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Here is the pic of mine hooked up...Looking at my frame, it looks to be more like 6" not 8" and the bar does come up about flush with the bottom of the frame...and I have it where I usually have it set when needing the weight distribution, though have had it cranked a few more links a couple of times...keep in mind the trailer was empty when I cranked on it to get it up, so the angle of the frame is incorrect as it is lifting up the whole rear end of the truck as well. Also, the new looking chain has the trailer chained to the power pole that it is parked next to...and is kinda close to the chain on the trunnion bar.

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 06-15-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

If the trailer is that heavy, it will never sit level with the WD hitch. Airbags are the way to go.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Dave M
Rookie

delete

Last edited by Dave M; 04-29-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Dave M
Rookie

Here is a picture of my hitch. Today I was able to get it up to four links. I raised the trailer and truck higher than I was and was able to get it up to four. The rear is still sagging but by going to four links it did make the front of the truck sit lower and almost level. This means it is sending more of the weight to the front. At five links the bar was still above the frame. If you look close you could see a scratch mark on the frame just under the chain where the bar hit it at five links. I am going to load differently than I have been. I've been putting too much weight in the front. I think by loading different I could keep it at five links. I have decided I am going to get the airbags when I add those I prbly could go down to six links and have the bar just under the frame.

Last edited by Dave M; 05-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:51 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Your second pic looks about perfect to me...to my experience of where I feel my truck rides the best. The truck looks to be perfectly level...which means the rear is sagging a bit due to the back being higher than the front when stock and empty. By all means, if you can adjust the load and get a system down then it'd be better. Air bags if you want to, but it doesn't look like they are needed to me...although I'm sure they will comfort the ride if you are going to be towing a lot...and if you got the cash to put into them, then go for it...the only reason I don't have them is cuz of the cost and have been able to make due without them.

BTW, what are you doing with my trailer...and the color of truck I really wanted?? Your trailer looks identical to mine...

Quick Reply: Airbag questions