3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake controller inst'ld in cubby-hole...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Avanti
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake controller inst'ld in cubby-hole...

Thanks to a friend of a Forum member (and the member, of course) who e-mailed me a copy of the page from the Shop Manual with instructions for removing the center dash panel, I finished my brake controller install I asked about earlier.

I tried a number of ways to use either of the brackets included with the Tekonsha Prodigy, but as I should have done from the start I made my own when I didn't like how the suppled ones would fit and work--even after some mods.

This is not a pretty install because the controller has to protrude enough to allow access to the top and bottom mounted controls. Upon reflection, if doing it again I'd redesign the bracket (which is painted flat black) to show less than it does now. It would have been simple enough. I guess I wanted to make sure it was in and functional since I'm leaving the end of the week to pick up a car trailer.

I considered a cover for the cubby allowing only the end of the controller to show, but decided to leave it open for now because the right side of the hole is still usable for small objects. Since I don't like the looks, I'll probably fab a removable cover that can be attached with magnets, for easy access.

The first pic shows the hole cut in the side of the cubby with a 1" hole saw and the grommet to edge it with. the hole had to be so large to allow the Dodge-specific cable connector to pass thru.

Again, thanks to those here who helped. The Internet at its best!

[IMG]local://upfiles/14944/9502AAC9A6E6423584EBD56082341A76.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14944/42409C00E6FE4126876533334484CDF5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-05-2005, 06:46 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brake controller inst'ld in cubby-hole...

Nice. I was wondering how the adjustment ***** would work but on that controller they're up front. Way better install than just hanging under the dash waiting to rip a kneecap off.

Quick Reply: Brake controller inst'ld in cubby-hole...