3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

BACK UP LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Scratch
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BACK UP LIGHTS

I just got back from Auto Zone looking for the same things. The switch is easy enough to find on the shelf. I found a lighted switch for $5.00. I had them look up a stock relay to use in one of the spare locations . . . the Chrysler relay is $16.99.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:29 PM
mleeser

Is the relay only needed to tie into the reverse lights or will I still need it if I decide to use a 2-way manual on/off switch only?

I'm not sure what a relay does. [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 07-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Scratch
Rookie

I don't get it either. I'm going off the diagram that DonG provided. I don't know what a relay is supposed to do either. I don't know enough about electricity to know that I don't know enough. You could ask him, I guess. [sm=dontgetit.gif] either!

Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
DonG
Veteran

If you just use a switch you won't need a relay as long as you use large enough wiring to carry the load for both lights. I used the relay because I didn't trust the backup wiring I tied into to carry the load for both the factory backup lights and the 2 55w add-on lights. I used 12 or 14 (don't remember which) gage wiring from the battery, through the main contacts of the relay to the lights, and used the smaller backup light wiring to control the relay.

Without the relay you would be powering 4 lights from 1 small wire. I may work OK that way, but I didn't trust it. The existing backup light wiring looked like 18 gage wiring.

I bought the relay from an autoparts store for about $5. It's a generic 30 amp relay. I think I saw the same thing at walmart with the automotive lighting.

There are a couple of different ways you can wire the circuit. The advantage of the above method is that if the relay goes bad you can still turn on the lights with the switch and if the switch goes bad the lights will still work when in reverse. This can help troubleshoot inoperative lights.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:32 AM
sig
Professional

you dont need them!!!!if you run someone over in a big *** dodge ram they deserve it!!

Old 07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
mleeser

Ok I bought some lights yesterday and a 2-way lighted switch. I'm just going to hook them up to be manually switched on/off and not tie into the reverse lights. Can someone take a look at the attached diagram and see if I've got it right? Can I just go straight to the chassis for ground both the switch and the lights?

[IMG]local://upfiles/16479/80FF3E73693641379DD6B2B3FECD2087.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2005, 05:16 PM
DonG
Veteran

Yes that should work great

Oh yea, you might want to add a fuse between the switch and the battery.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:04 PM
mleeser

Thanks! I forgot to ask about the fuse. The lights came with an inline 15 AMP fuse so I'll put that before the switch. Is it better/worse/same to run the ground to the battery (-) instead of the chassis? Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I'll get them on this weekend and get some pics.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
DonG
Veteran

The grounds should go to the chassis.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Scratch
Rookie

I just got done with the backup lights. Other than laying on the ground in the rain getting soaked, it was fairly simple. The hardest part was trying to find a place to put the lights and the relay.

Quick Reply: BACK UP LIGHTS