3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Me Diagnos Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 PM
elks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Diagnos Vibration

What are the steps to take to finding a vibration under load? Here is what I have done and questions:

2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab with hemi and automatic transmission 4x4.

Recently I am getting a slight vibration under acceleration (more noticeable at lower speeds and greater torque). I have check the u joints and am not finding any movement in them and the appear solid, etc. I check them the same way I have all other u joints: Lifted vehicle used neutral and moved each one looking for any play at all. None.

So now I am looking at other issues. Tonight I took it for about a a 15 minute drive at highway speeds (75 mph). When I got home again set it up and and check ujoint play, none.

I then checked other areas. The rear diff was luke warm, but the transfer case was noticeable warmer(not burning hot but a good bit warmer). I also screwed with the yoke coming out of the rear xnsfer case and noticed a little movement in and out(less than a .25"). Is that normal?

So what are my next steps to solve this little puzzle? I am going to check xnsfer case fluid tomorrow, but it should be good as it has been serviced and there is no leaking.

Last edited by elks; 05-09-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm wondering if it is an engine shudder from bad plugs, coils or coil boot? These misses/shutters are most noticeable at higher load/low rpm situations.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 PM
elks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
I'm wondering if it is an engine shudder from bad plugs, coils or coil boot? These misses/shutters are most noticeable at higher load/low rpm situations.
That is possible. I am nearing due time for new plus. If it was a miss what can I attempt to figure out for sure? I live in the mountains, would heavy engine breaking give me any more clues?

Also If I pull sparks plugs, would this little miss be noticeable in plug appearance? When compared to others?

Quick Reply: Help Me Diagnos Vibration