3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Choices..choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Hemi_Chris
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Choices..choices

Some of us like our street trucks. We like watching pickups drag race each other, racing them ourselves, watching NASCAR trucks, and so on. It may not make sense to some, but we march to the tune of a different drummer I guess.

2WD STREET TRUCKS are not "useless".

Old 07-07-2005, 12:12 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

2wd are fun..........to pull. 2wd trucks don't go where i go.
lol
Seriously though, my work truck is a 2wd and my play truck is a 4X4. The arrangement works well.
It's all in your needs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7688/A2D0F3E349FE4BB18CF1B55538BB4EA7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-07-2005, 03:35 AM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

I have to laugh that 2wd is useless....... I do property maint and have driven nothing but 2wd trucks for years thru every snow storm and never had a problem .......I would never even consider owning a 4wd truck. Unless someone really plans on going offroading its a waste of money.
I knew that someone would bite on my 2wd useless statement. You say that you drive in snow but are we talking Omaha snowstorm which is just a bunch of idiots roaming flat land or are we talking mtn snow? I go to the Sierra Nevada mountains many times. If you dont have 4x4 then its time to pull out chains and even those wont give you the traction of 4x4. Theres nothing more fun than laughing at the losers on the side of the road in a snow storm putting chains on. I had a 2wd truck before and would never make the same mistake twice. As ce2flaco said, 2wd wont go where I go. I work with a guy that says all day long that 2wd can do anything a 4x4 can but you know what, hes shopping for a 4x4. Kinda funny to me. Let me have you follw me for a day of working a truck and then you will see the uselessness of 2wd. I probably wouldnt have made it out with my boat this last weekend if not for 4x4. I have used it with my waverunner at the lake as well. My 4x4 has even been used to get my truck out of my backyard. 2WD = USELESS TRUCK

Some of us like our street trucks. We like watching pickups drag race each other, racing them ourselves, watching NASCAR trucks, and so on. It may not make sense to some, but we march to the tune of a different drummer I guess.

2WD STREET TRUCKS are not "useless".
If you want to go fast then buy a sports car or a motorcycle. Trucks arent meant to go fast. Sport trucks a re a complete waste of money. Anyone in a descent sports car is going to smoke your ****. Again, back to my point of 2WD = USELESS TRUCK.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
mleeser

I go to the Sierra Nevada mountains many times. If you dont have 4x4 then its time to pull out chains and even those wont give you the traction of 4x4. Theres nothing more fun than laughing at the losers on the side of the road in a snow storm putting chains on.
In his first post the dude said he was in Florida. It's 95 degrees right now and it damn sure aint gonna snow any time soon. Listen I love 4WD and nobody's going to say that a 2WD can go everywhere a 4WD can, but if his truck is never going to leave the pavement then he doesn't need 4WD in Florida.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

unless he goes swamping..which it doesnt sound like he will.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:41 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Theres nothing more fun than laughing at the losers on the side of the road in a snow storm putting chains on. I had a 2wd truck before and would never make the same mistake twice.
Does this mean you use to be a loser? LOL

I have a 2wd for 2 reasons. 1. It costs more, Period. 2. I don't need it.

Yeah, it would be nice, but if I don't need it, why pay the extra to be a poser. ce2flaco's 4x4 has seen more 4wd action than most of the people down here combined.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:04 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

you know what HEMI_OFF_ROAD I live in the Dallas area(texas) and drive about 25000+ miles a year around here and towing a trailer sometimes with a car and sometimes without. All on pavement, which to me that makes YOUR TRUCK USELESS!!! Waste of extra money when purchasing it(you paid well over $6-7000 more than what I did for a brand new truck for sure, so the resale value doesnt mean sh*t when the difference is the same, yours sucks more gas than mine does on any given day or condition, and no matter what you think, I have never had any problems getting boats or jetskis out of the lake... EVER! My bed holds just as much as any 4x4 6.25 ft bed, the towing is the same, gas tank holds as much and all that jazz, but I will fill mine up less than you and I saved my $6K for another car(my Buick Grand National) which will run circles around your 4x4 on pavement all day long and is fast enough to make you dizzy.

As for off-road, gimme a Jeep CJ or any traditional style jeep and I will out-off-road you till the cows come home. Point is your 4x4 may suit your needs where you are fine but down here in texas, for what I use a truck for, where it rarely snows and there are only a few hills to go up and down a 4x2 is really all I need ... oh and by the way, in the winter here it ices up and in that case it doesnt matter whether you have 2 wheel, 4-wheel or 10 wheel drive... your still going to slide all over the place.

If this was a gas vs. diesel arguement then you would have a case, but your just bashing 4x2's for really no purpose at all other than pure ignorance on your part.

OH and one more thing, if trucks werent meant to go fast, then what the hell is the SRT-10 doing being the fastest production truck in the world and holding its own against damn near any camaro, firebird, mustang, older stock vette, viper and so forth... and totally smoking any of the other trucks out there too.

Old 07-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Phatboy
Professional

I dont think this post was supposed to be a pi$$ing contest about my truck can go where yours can't. The simple fact is that if he isnt planning on running the dunes, or cruising the mountains in the snow, he probably doesnt need 4wd. I have owned 5 Rams, 3 4wd and 2 2wds. I prefer the 4wd, even though I dont use it that often, I like to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. As far as wanting a truck to be fast, the fact is the street truck market is the largest growing market in vehicles today. People like trucks, I dont want to ever own a car for me to drive. I like my truck, I want a 4x4, but that might have to wait till next weekend.

Honestly, if you arent planning on going off road, and have no need for the 4x4 then dont buy one. You can probably get a new 4x2 for the price of the used 4x4. With the rebates and all right now you can pretty much get a 4x4 for the previous price of a 2wd.

Its all personal preference. No Right no Wrong.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:44 PM
DonG
Veteran

I don't think I bashed 2wd but I was the one who mentioned resale value. In most parts of the country the difference between what you paid and the resale value is not the same. On a new Ram the 4wd option is only $4K, and you will more than get that money back come trade-in or resale. Also, around here the used 2wds collect a lot of dust on the dealers lot while the used 4wds move out the door.

After reading most of these posts, I would suggest you get the 4x4 just to prevent becoming hyper-sensitive about what you own.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:56 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just look at your needs, if you're going to offroad or drive in snow, buy the 4wd, if its just for the road, get a 2wd. I bought a 2wd in Indiana cause I was moving to Texas in 3 months. And don't exclude used, I was diehard "buy new" myself, but then I found this Ram for 10k less that it would have been new and it was only a year old (prior lease). The warranty should still be on yours if only 10k miles, just take it to the dealer and give them $80 to look it over and anything they find, they fix for free.