3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball Joint Options...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 AM
elks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint Options...

This is for my 2006 1500 (really 2500) 3/4 Mega Cab
Ok so in an earlier thread it has been determined that I am needing to replace my Ball Joints. So now I am researching my options for parts. When searching I am finding Carli sets, Moog*SP) and Dynatec... THe prices seem extremely high to me, over 500-600 dollars for just parts.

So what are my option for doing this on a budget?

Also I saw the write up and I under stand how to perform the work. However I am curious which ball joint press I can get for a budget as well? Does the parts houses have these as loaner tools?

And the big question: Can I tell if I need to replace just uppers or both with out taking it apart? I read where the lowers almost never go bad.

Thanks again. Just looking for a budget based ball joint that will get me down the road another 80,000 miles like the stock ones did. Also parts number are gold to me as I live an hour from a good parts house and driving all the way there and not getting the part I need is extremely irritating.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Moog is the best part for the price.

Check them out on www.rockauto.com or get the P/N and price them out on Ebay

Yes you can rent the tools at regular parts houses.

The most noticeable issue with BJs are cracks rubber boots. Remember though the upper BJs come in the UCA as a set (1 piece) and you will need an alignment afterwards

If you got 80k, I would replace both upper and lower.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM
newfiebullet
Professional

Im running carlis, yea there pricey but never have to replace them again is worth $$$ IMO

Old 05-13-2011, 07:39 PM
OICUDRIVE12
Professional

Def. Moog, replaced EVERYTHING under the front of my Maxima with Moog and for the price VS. preformance cant go wrong! As for my truck not much wrong with the front end I replaced the hub assem. and used Timken I think.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
formguy
Rookie

I've put Moog in mine...three times. Next time is Carlis or dynatracs.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 PM
newfiebullet
Professional

Originally Posted by formguy
I've put Moog in mine...three times. Next time is Carlis or dynatracs.
My point exactly, watched to many buddies changing ball joints every other year, ur not only saving the price of the bjs but also the time it takes to put them in.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry, being I can do my own work, I would rather replaced with Moog and Carli. My truck is an 04 with almost 80k on it and still OEM BJs. Although I am getting ready to replace everything for maintenance reasons, if you are going through BJs every other year then you have other issues.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Bustedknuckles
Default Do upper and lower... and anything else

I also have a 2006 2500 Mega cab, and I can tell you both from doing a crap load of ball joint work on trucks (not to mention the ball joints on my Mega cab) the following things:

1. Definitely replace upper and lower joints. Maybe the lowers aren't bad now, BUT while you have everything apart I wouldn't skimp on ANYTHING. - consider replacing your stub shaft u joints with Spicer joint.
- consider replacing your hubs

2. This is a very time consuming job because of how much a PITA it is to get things apart and cleaned up. If you do all this work and have to go back and do it again to replace say ujoints you will regret it.

3. Go to Advanced Auto and use their Loaner program to rent the Big/Heavy duty ball joint press and adapters (not the small one). They charge you when you take it and give you the money back when you return it. This press will do the job and not bend like the cheap crap as long as you are smart about how you remove the ball joint... especially the bottom.
- Defintley take your time with lotsa of penetrating oil and I use a propane torch to gently add heat to the C.
- Hit both the C and Press from time to time with a small sledge just enough to jar things while you tighten
- Put your new joints in the freezer for3-4 hours before you install them

4. Clean and Antisieze the living crap out of everything before you reassemble for when you need to remove the hub again (if you keep the truck you will need to at some point).

My truck is used hard. I've replaced everything on the steering linkage, ball joints, hubs ujoints etc... I can say I'm not a huge fan of Dodge's choice to go to the AAM front axle to begin with, and a lot of the stock stuff on the front end plain out sucks. My 2001 Ram 3/4 ton with the Dana 60 held up much better in this area.... although most of the rest of the 2006 Ram is superior.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
newfiebullet
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Sorry, being I can do my own work, I would rather replaced with Moog and Carli. My truck is an 04 with almost 80k on it and still OEM BJs. Although I am getting ready to replace everything for maintenance reasons, if you are going through BJs every other year then you have other issues.
I also do all my own work but ball joints on 2500's with SFA is def a problem. When i replaced mine at 35000 thet were shot. I dont think its just my truck as several people with 2500 and mega cabs are having trouble with oem ball joints. I only ever replaced mine once but before my buddy put in carlis he went through 3 sets of oem in 60,000. Im sure the lift and bigger tires dont help much either, also we do alot of off-roading. Im not tryin to sell people on carlis because i really dont care what people buy but just leting them know that carli kits and ball joint are proven to take abuse without trouble.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 PM
stenerson
Veteran

You got me curious so I looked up the Carli sight. Mama Mia! 450 bucks for a balljoint? Did I read that correctly?

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Options...