3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

using oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 AM
gidy34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using oil?

Did an oil change on the truck last night... I have the Hemi. I drained about 4 quarts out and put in almost all 7. I know some stays in the filter, but does this seem right?

BTW also changed plugs and wires with a friend, you guys were right on the time. It took us 2 hours and hit no problems, so about 4 hours if you were doing it by yourself.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
stenerson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gidy34
Did an oil change on the truck last night... I have the Hemi. I drained about 4 quarts out and put in almost all 7. I know some stays in the filter, but does this seem right?

BTW also changed plugs and wires with a friend, you guys were right on the time. It took us 2 hours and hit no problems, so about 4 hours if you were doing it by yourself.

Not good. You were running very low. How much can the oil filter hold, probably not even half a quart.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the level prior to starting? Yep, it was definitely low. Filter capacity at a pint is probably 'bout right. I wind up putting about 6 1/2 quarts in after a drain and filter replace.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Some engines use oil due to internal or external leaks. If you see no oil in the bottom of the engine pan or where the front or rear mail seal is then you are using it internally.