3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering cooler help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:53 AM
mrbb1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering cooler help

Ok, I have a problem with MY 06 2500 hemi

It was involved in a deer collision,( needed new front end more or less) back in 2009 and as such, the local body shop got the repair.
all was well to this point.
then My radiator started to leak.
No big deal I thought
ordered a new one from DODGE, due to I have both oil,trans/ coolers and wanted to just make sure they would mount no issues

I got the new radiator, new top and bottom hoses, and new Mo par coolant

Had time over the weekend to do the job, again, figured a easy deal.

BUT got everything back together, But the power steering cooler and hit a wall.
this new radiator doesn't have any place to mount the power steering cooler.
this is where I have a issue
the old rad, had a "U" channel of a lip on the bottom, that had holes drilled in it to mount the cooler to( new one has no lip at all, just about flush with the radiator) I am not sure this was from the factory or not, as this seems to be what caused my radiator to fail, as the weight of the cooler seemed to pull apart the corner welds, making a leak
and the drilled holes look very sloppy, not really in line with each other
I think the body shop just drilled to make mounting it back easier on them.(maybe)
other than this everything else lines up on the new radiator

I went to my local dodge dealer where I bought the radiator, and was told they don't know how it went on! if the radiator was supposed to have the holes, or if there was any brackets to mount.

Right now I have it zip tied to my frame, for a quick fix

so does anyone know if there were actual mounts , or if it was supposed to be bolted to the radiator, and if so, why doesn't this one have them
and there isn't even room to drill holes if I wanted on this new radiator
thanks

Last edited by mrbb1; 05-22-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely came from the factory that way!! I don't have a picture of the mount, but I can take one tomorrow.

Name:  DSCN2546.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  136.5 KB

Old 05-22-2011, 02:32 AM
mrbb1
Professional

so the radiator I got is wrong or something then??
please post pic if you can
thanks

Old 05-22-2011, 02:10 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Looks like the cooler mounts to the two holes in the bottom of the radiator. I can't see how the brackets attach to the cooler though.

Name:  IMAG0306.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0302.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0303.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  78.3 KB

Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM
mrbb1
Professional

Thanks, That look like my mount on my cooler, and there was holes in my old radiator it bolted to.
But this new readitor, doesn't have any, nor is there enough room( matirial) on the bottom of it to drill any hole

The mounts on my cooler are welded to it
Man it sucks as, I ahve the whole thing in now, and the old one leaks

My dealer said that THAT"S the radiator, and will not take back, as I installed it

I guess i will have to figure out a better way to mount , than the zip ties I have now holding on to my frame!
Life is never easy!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Good luck. Hopefully you can come up with solution.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:00 PM
tvspot
Default I am having the exact same issue

I purchased a Spectra Premium CU2813 Radiator for my 2004 Hemi. Got it 90% installed, climbed under to attach the power steering cooler and found no holes to put the bolts for the cooler bracket through. On top of that, even if I could drill holes, the radiator is about 1/4 inch narrower than the factory one. So the brackets will are too wide to fit up and into either side of the lower radiator rail. I have a call in to the place where I bought it from and a call into Spectra, but I called too late to talk to anyone that could help tonight, so will hopefully have an answer in the morning. How did you end up resolving this issue? I am tempted to go to a parts store and have them open up another one to see if it has the holes. Maybe I just got a incorrectly manufactured radiator? I confirmed with Spectra that is the correct radiator for my truck. Everything else lines up and it mounts correctly, just no way to mount the PS cooler. So I am stuck, need to get this resolved tomorrow so I can drive to work on Saturday. Really appreciate any info you guys may have. Thanks! -Brian

Quick Reply: power steering cooler help