3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine Light Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 PM
klruff1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Mystery

Recently bought a 2005 Quad Cab Daytona Hemi, just turned 35,000 miles 2 days ago. About a week after buying it, I started the truck up in the morning, and the CEL came on. Seemed to have a little bit of a rough idle at the time, but once warmed up it ran perfect. It had rained the night before and was still misty out. Had to go pick up my travel trailer that morning, so I called the dealer where I purchased the truck and they told me to bring it in. Code was pulled and called out a misfire of cylinder 2. They reset the light, checked over a few things, and called it an anamoly since everything checked fine. I called a mechanic friend who told me within 60miles the light would come back on, as it was probably a coil pack. Sure enough, while driving the travel trailer home on the highway, the CEL came back on. We purchased a coil pack with plans to install but it was the wrong one. Strange thing was, when my friend pulled up the code expecting to see misfire cylinder 2, it instead called out a problem with the fuel injector circuit on cyclinder 4. Confused, he reset the light and gave me his co-pilot diagnostic tool. He plugged it into the port under the steering wheel and told me when the CEL comes back on, pull the co-pilot, hook it up to my Computer, and go through the self-guided steps to find out what is wrong. Well that was 2 plus weeks ago and the CEL has not come back on. Any idea what is going on? 2 CEL's in one day (a rainy day), then nothing for a few weeks. The truck ran perfect all along. When the CEL came on the 1st time, I had not filled up on gas for several days. After the dealer checked it and reset the CEL, I filled up with Plus grade gas for towing, so I would guess it was not gas cap related. Still no CEL as of writing this post. Very confused as to what is going on. I read the EGR's go at 40-60K miles, I am not there yet and the truck seems to run just fine, so not sure if that can be causing those 2 different fault codes. Waiting for a rainy day again to see if it is moisture related.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You may have a fine crack in a pack or wire and moisture is getting in, causing the CEL...

Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The only thing you can do at this point is wait and see. One of the things you may want to look into is the Superchips 3865 tuner which can not only get you a better running truck but also allow you to pull your own codes if you ever get another CEL

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Mystery