3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My truck loves me...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 AM
JunkDodge24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My truck loves me...

Whats up? Got a question......my flasher relay I assume is bad cuz I turn the signal left it shows right is on and sometimes it doesnt even work. 2004 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. Ive got all kinds of issues with this truck. How much is one? Dealer only?...another question. Whould it be a good idea to bring my truck to Dodge, let them go over it with it a fine tooth comb and then go from there as far as getting this thing fixed. Always something wrong it. Just had the wheel bearings replaced and I still feel a grind especially turning left into a parking spot. Tackle one thing at a time....let me start with the flasher thingy...where to get it and how to change it. Probally have to get a drawing from NASA right?

Thanks. Scott

Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I will move your post to the 3rd gen section.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flasher is integrated in the instrument cluster, I believe. This is most likely a wiring issue. Did you buy the truck new? If not, I suspect the PO did some shade-tree wiring.

NEVER let the dealer diagnose it. They'll find every little thing that isn't perfect and want you to have it fixed.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ And then charge you more than the truck is worth.

First thing I would do if you have not already is download the Service and Parts Manuals from the link in my signature as you are going to need them

Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
JunkDodge24

cool...No I bought it used. This all seemed to happen after I hit a pothole. Is there a connection underneath? Also last night my brake light came on and ABS light also? When I had the shocks replaced a few months ago they did tell me the brakes were getting close. Does the beast have a sensor or something when the show wears down to far? Make the warning light come on???

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
klruff1
Rookie

Pothole eh? I'm not a wiring expert on this vehicle, but I will tell you that there is a connector under the truck near the front drivers side wheel. When I had the truck up on the lift cleaning up and spraying the undercarriage, I could not believe there was exposed wiring under the vehicle. I'm not sure what this wiring is for, but take a look underneath. You may want to unplug the connector, check the wires, clean it up, reconnect, and see if it helps.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Denniss66
Veteran

it has to do with something in the steering column my truck does this once in a while and when i tilt my steering wheel up and down it works normal again

Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
JunkDodge24

Well I just read alot of posts on here about the flasher problem. Not sure where to start now? Connections at the back bumper? Fuses? If a fuse is blown would it cause funky crap? Where is the flasher thing? I will download the service at home since its such a big file. As far as the brake light issues I havent called the garage yet to get a quote on the brakes....

Old 06-13-2011, 10:19 AM
JunkDodge24
Unhappy This truck cant be serious!

Ok here we go....I just recently posted on here a thread about my flashers. Thats a good place to start. Call it #1. I tried tilting the wheel up as suggested and the flashers work normally but wicked awkward to drive. When its down and it does work, I can feel the flasher in the dash clonking...so is there a relay in there? I can take the column cover off and check for a pinched wire or something. Only screws up when its down. #2. I just sunk $500 bones on 4 pads and 4 rotors. I came to a light coming home and I was going about 60 or so and had to get on them at a light. It felt like the brakes either slipped or something cuz I heard like rattle I guess and felt it on the brake and it seemed like it lost brake pressure for a sec. I checked them in the parking lot at work this morning and it seemed ok. Nothing to worry about? I ask that cuz the other night out of the blue the Ebrake light came and the ABS light came on at the same time and are still on after the brake change. They said it could be a module???? Or should I take the Neg. side off battery and re-boot and see if it returns after the new brakes??? #3. Stay with me...gets better. Over the winter I had to have the enviromental cannister replaced and now that code keep popping up again. P-0441. Or that may be the accelerator fault. Not sure now. I had it on a rack getting a wheel fixed and the guy looked for a broke line and didnt see one. So we'll see on that one? Garage should warranty al that I hope. #4 Couple days ago driving home from work the truck shut off on me twice with no new codes. Just the engine quit, Pulled over...started right back...did it again couple miles down the road. Been ok since but whats up with that?? Seems to wanna do it when im in between gears going around 30 mph or so and I let off the gas a little and it shut off. Which leads me into #5. The transmission slips here and there. Couple of times in the last week or so........So I dont know what to do anymore with this truck. Burn it? So in summary kids.
2004 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 2WD.
Bought in Aug. 2010, 46K miles since then...
New tires = $800
Cannister replaced = $250
Front Wheel bearings = $100 warranty deductable(ever heard of this?)
New shocks front and back = $440
Brakes all around = $500
Bed came apart on thru-way = $100
Drivers door panel fell off!! lol = $20
$2100 in repairs in 11 months.
Hey Dodge,give yourselves a big round of applause!! TY you may sit now..
#1 Bad flasher issue. Whats my next move?
#2 Brake and ABS light on....Put eletrical tape over lit icon?
#3 P-0441 fault code???
#4 Truck shutting off..
#5 Transmission slipping....

You guys are good here on this site and Im sure you'll do just fine iin leading in the right direction.
Deep Breathes!!...Breeaatthhee,

Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, one long run-on paragraph is a b!tch to read. Anyway:

$800 for tires isn't horrible. Many warranties have a deductible. You over paid by $300 or so on the shocks. I just did all four corners of my truck for $110.

$500 for a brake job may or may not be out of line. I would question the need for four rotors. It's certainly possible. How many miles total? 46K in nine months is a buncha miles. Ceramic pads and turn all the rotors would make it a bit much. Less work than that is way too much.

"Bed came apart..."? Couldn't have been too bad for a c-note to fix it.

Is this all dealer work? If so, that's part of the problem. Dealers have to charge more because their overhead is much more. Independent shops can do the work cheaper and often better.

NEVER ignore a brake warning!

Sounds like you've diagnosed your flasher problem (bad wire). Not a fuse and not a relay. If it was a fuse, the flasher wouldn't be intermittent. Same is likely true of a bad relay. Once they quit, they're done.

The tranny may be long overdue for service. If so, you may be in line for a rebuild. Try a drop 'n' drain and replace both filters. $70 or so if you DIY, $120 for a shop to do it with your parts, $150 or so with their parts. The dealer will be in the $200+ range.

Quick Reply: My truck loves me...