3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CEL Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 PM
klruff1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL Frustration

Bought this 2005 Daytona about 1.5months ago with only 34K miles on the clock, but I'm starting to think the previous owner unloaded a problem truck. Had the Check Engine Light go on about a week after owning it, brought it back to the dealer and the code called out misfire cylinder 2. They reset the light, checked things out, and said it was probably an anamoly. On the way home from the dealer while towing my travel trailer, the CEL came back on. My friend owns a auto repair shop, so I asked him to check out the truck. His diagnostic computer called out an injector circuit failure on cylinder 4 (or something like that). Didn't make sense so he reset the CEL, installed a co-pilot diagnostic recorder, and told me to wait for the CEL to come back on. That took 2.5 weeks before the CEL came back on, but unfortunately, the recorder did not record the data. His regular diagnostic tool said another misfire cylinder 2 happened, so we replaced all 16 of the spark plugs and the cylinder 2 coil pack, cleaned the throttle body, and checked everything else out. Truck still seemed to have a rough idle when 1st started and 1st driven, but would clear up shortly thereafter. Well, 3 days after all of the work was done, the CEL came back on. My friend is going to check the code again, but we suspect another cylinder 2 misfire, which is very confusing and frustrating since the truck never runs bad when the light is coming on, and there is nothing left to do to cylinder 2 except replace the spark plug wire. Doesn't make sense. Anybody else experience this problem or have any ideas? We are thinking maybe the injector(s) are dirty? Love this truck but this is getting old fast.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Also remove the valve cover and inspect the valve springs on the number 2 cylinder. I have also seen the valves not seating too. Also have friend do a compression test too.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, only sure way to know with a cylinder problem is doing a compression test.

Was a guy locally here who got a "steal" on a Daytona last summer, might have even been an '05 and it had stupid low miles on it, like 29k. Looked real clean, just about mint. He had misfires with it, but on multiple cylinders. Come to find out, somebody recognized the truck as being at the local track, running almost every weekend.

Despite the low miles, the engine was shot and needed a total rebuild. Not saying this is the issue with yours, but I kinda have a red flag go up now on them Daytonas and the SRTs with crazy low miles on them...

Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im guessing this is a continuation from this thread?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...t-mystery.html

If you have any CEL codes, please post them all.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
klruff1
Rookie

Yes it is a continuation of the other thread. Just an update, checked the code, misifre cylinder 2 AGAIN! Truck runs perfect, which is the strange thing. Mechanic friend doesn't think there is anything seriously wrong, maybe bad gas or previous owners used poor quality gas and/or drove around town alot which doesnt allow the engine to heat up and clean up. Would make sense since the truck only has 35K miles on it and is 6 years old. We had a 3 way call with the dealer to discuss possibilities and what we had already done (new plugs and coil pack, new air filter). Neither think the PCM is the issue, leaning more towards dirty injector(s) or injector itself. Dealer said it could be that the valve is not seated properly, friend thinks that could be result of dirt also. Next plan is to run some professional grade fuel system cleaner through the engine - diable the fuel pump, clamp the fuel line, and let the engine run on a can of cleaner until it dies, then put fuel pump fuse back in and run the truck hard on the highway. If that doesn't work, it's off to the dealer 1.5 hours away and he gets to keep it until he figures it out. Loaner car included. More to follow.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Vtwin92fx

Move the #2 injector to another cylinder and see if the miss follows the injector.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 PM
klruff1
Rookie

Another few days, I've got another CEL. Consistent P0302 code (misfire cylinder #2). Mechanic friend has been unsuccessful trying to find the hose adapter/regulator for the Fuel System Tune-Up cleaner, but I just found something myself that may work, have to check tonight when I get home. Plan is to run this cleaner through the engine to clean up the injectors and see how she runs. Next up, I made an appointment for the PCM reflash per the TSB for erratic idle, mine bounces from 800 when 1st starting down to a low of 500 which seems too low (engine seems rough at that low RPM). I have spent LOTS of time reading all types of info on this board trying to figure out why I get this misfire, and why my truck seems to have a rough idle, even at the higher idle when 1st starting. When I fired it up Sunday morning, it was rough after starting and I just knew the CEL would come back on. Sure enough it did. I'm hoping the Fuel System cleaner will work, plus the PCM reflash.

I read that the EGR lasts 40-50K miles, but less with short trips. I'm guessing this truck may have had several short trips since it is 6 years old and only has 35K miles. I have read that an EGR that starts to fail can cause rough idle, but can it also cause thre misfire/CEL that I am experiencing? If the CEL and rough idle aren't fixed after the Fuel system treatment, and PCM flash, I will bring this beast back to the dealer and have them check the injector(s) and valve springs. Maybe I will replace the EGR before bringing it to them to see what happens.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:34 AM
ram15hun

your egr valve will set a code and cause a part throttle hesitation i had an intermittent egr sticking definately try swapping the injector

Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I replaced my EGR at about 75k or so but only for maintenance reasons. There was nothing wrong with it mechanically. Same for my O2 sensors recently as well.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Not sure its te EGR as you may also be getting EGR related codes and misfire codes.
Focus on what suggestions have been given already and take it from there.

Quick Reply: CEL Frustration