3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Minor problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd look more at the Superchips or the Diablo than the Bully Dog. Bully is about the best there is along with maybe Banks for diesel trucks, but the last I checked their gas tunes they lagged far behind the "big two" in both performance gains and options.

I'm kinda partial to the canned tunes of the Superchips for '04s and '05s, but if you are gonna go WAY into modding, like heads, cam and such, then the custom tuning available with the Diablo would be the way to go.
Can't beat the transmission tuning of the Superchips for '04s & '05s IMO.

A good CAI or at least a higher flow drop in is the way to go, but you'll get the same gains if you build one as you'll get out of dropping $300 in one. The exhaust is a biggie, especially if yours nixed the factory"Y" pipe which is restrictive as hell. Tuner would be the next logical step. An e-fan would be a nice, inexpensive mod with a lot of bang for the buck in both HP free'd up and fuel economy gains. The stock clutch fan will rob up to about 18 RWHP and can cost you 2 mpg in town.

As far as getting most of the HP & Torque made at the crank to the rear wheels, it ain't happening with the stock torque converter. Rams are about the worst in the industry about parasitic losses through the transmission. Of the 345 HP at the crank stock, you'll dyno anywhere from upper 230s to mid 250s depending on the dyno used.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-16-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 PM
keepushin770
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dyno'd at 288hp and the guy was surprised. Said most rams were around 260 up to 270. Not sure if the 3" duels and the light weight reg cab short bed play any role in that. Buddy told me to get a tuner some headers and coil pks with a better ignition and that k&n system and I'd probably be happy with it for everyday driving. Did u see the comment about the PCM sticker I posted on page 1?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not going to get all 345 to the road...just having a drive shaft vs chain driven drops 15% of your power...that's not counting the tranny t-convertor, t-case, etc...The only way to get 345 to the road is beef it up to about 450 HP

Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by keepushin770
I dyno'd at 288hp and the guy was surprised. Said most rams were around 260 up to 270. Not sure if the 3" duels and the light weight reg cab short bed play any role in that. Buddy told me to get a tuner some headers and coil pks with a better ignition and that k&n system and I'd probably be happy with it for everyday driving. Did u see the comment about the PCM sticker I posted on page 1?
I'm sure if you got a 288 it was off a Mustang Dyno, the better flowing after-market exhausts usually are around 13-18 HP over stock. You'd be around 20-25 HP lower on a Dynotech Dyno. Dyno Queens (POD Dyno) give even higher numbers than a Mustang.
Usually when I give average numbers they are based on the Dynotech, so adjust up a bit if using a Mustang for comparison purposes...

Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 AM
keepushin770
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my plans are this. I'm gonna put in a tci torque converter, electric fan, k&n system and change these flo tech mufflers to original 40 series flowmasters. I like that sound better. Then I'm gonna choose a programmer. At that I think I'll be happy with it. Oh and I'm gonna get this rear end biting better with a different differential. Tends to spin alot on right side. Think that'll be good??

Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't personally know, but most guys on here say that the flowmasters are pretty restrictive for performance, and are ALL sound basically...there are a few very popular options on these trucks that they say are not restrictive and give you some gain and sound

Quick Reply: Minor problems