3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Minor problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
keepushin770
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor problems

I have an 05 ram reg cab short bed hemi. Just upgraded from an 03 with a v6 because I loved my last one so much. Anyways, got it from Carmax with 40k on it. Couple days after I have it I notice something that my 03 did just not as bad. The steering when moving slow and under load vibrates when I turn left but only when it wants to so duplicating it with the mechanic isn't easy. They replaced the rack and pinion free but it's still doing it. I have no clue what to look for because I can never seem to do it at the right time. Another couple issues I have with this hemi that I never had before is at random times it takes a couple seconds longer to crank than usual. There again they replaced the crank shaft position sensors and cleaned the throttle body but just today it did it again. Also on a normal Basis the truck idles at about 600 or 650rpm, on some warm muggy mornings I can pull up to a light and the rpm will be at about 500 and u can feel it in and out of a slight vibration.Carmax did a master reset to fix the idle but still it does it. I dont know guys. These problems are so randomly spaced out. My v6 never acted up. Any thoughts?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Did you replace the plugs? It's recommended to replace every 30K. PCV? Air filter? Juat a couple of things to look at. As far as the steering, maybe someone else will chime with a little more knowledge on that one!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, it sounds like a tune-up is needed. As far as the vibration in the steering is concerned, it's usually the rack, but could be tie rod ends, ball joints or even a bad hub.

As far as the low idle goes, there was a TSB out for '04s and '05s with the issue that required a PCM flash from the dealer. It covered low/rough idle and/or a CEL for lean state.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2005/18-013-05.htm

I had this issue slightly, but rather than having the flash done, I installed a 180* thermostat which basically band-aided the problem by richening up the A/F ratio a bit, which is basically what the PCM flash does...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-16-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM
keepushin770
Amateur

Th. Guys hammer the PCM flash is what Carmax did to attempt to fix the idle. It didn't help any. As far as a tune up goes, Carmax told me no car hits their lot without a complete tune up but that's just their word. Not facts. And the steering thing just eats at me everytime it does it. I wish I had a way to record it for the mechanic. I hate spending dollars on something that doesn't fix it.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I don't know how Carmax could upgrade the PCM without being a dealer, Chrysler's PCM tunes are proprietary and they would have to be a certified dealer to get them. They don't release them, not even to the tuner companies.

They are supposed to affix an Authorized Modification Label with any changes/flashes to the PCM. Did they put a sticker on either the PCM or where the label is on the front top frame in front of the radiator?

It is required by law and is mandated by the EPA & should look like this:

The information must be typed in and is as follows:

INFORMATION THAT MUST BE TYPED ON AUTHORIZED MODIFICATION LABEL

1 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE P/N (INSERT P/N) USED
2 - CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB XX-XXX-XX
3 - DEALER CODE: XXXXX
4 - DATE: XX-XX-XX

I also HIGHLY doubt Carmax does a complete tune-up. Maybe an oil/filter and air filter change, but a full tune-up, 16 new plugs, transmission and diff fluids, EGR, etc. I don't think so. Be easy enough to check. Pull a plug and see if it's new or pop the plug in the rear diff and poke your pinky in and see if the fluid is new.
I think they are blowing smoke up your wazoo.

I can double check on the PCM flash thing, I have a good buddy who is a service manager at a Dodge dealership, I see him Friday nights at my golf league and will double check...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 PM
keepushin770
Amateur

Carmax is sn authorized Chrysler dealer as that's the only new car brand u csn buy there. A Chrysler tech was the one that told me he was going to flash it. As for that label I will look later today and see. And as far as the tune up goes I guess I'll pull a plug and the rear end plug. How do I check if the trans has had service? I kno u gotta keep these automatics serviced. Can I get that thermostat u talked about anywhere? Thx man ur a big help,

Old 06-16-2011, 02:33 PM
keepushin770
Amateur

And where is the PCM incase I don't see it on the front?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The PCM is on the firewall, it has three massive groups of wires going into it. You can't miss it. Do a search in this section, I know there are pictures of it around here.

If they are a NEW Chrysler dealer, then yeah, they will have a ScanTool and have the ability to flash the PCM. I didn't know Carmax did new vehicles. I think I've driven past one or two, but have never been in one. I just did a search on their site and it lists the closest one to me is 215 miles.

The 180* thermostats are available at any auto parts store, should be anywhere from about $8 for a no-name to about $30 for a name-brand, stainless one with a lifetime warranty. The cooler stat temp will force the PCM to richen the mix a tad and idle should be slightly higher.
NOTE - if you only do frequent very short trips I would stick with the stock 195* stat, as the little short trips coupled with the cooler engine temps can lead to oil sludging. Also, because the PCM will dump more fuel by volume, your fuel economy will go down slightly (probably 1/2 a MPG or so). Also if you live in the extreme north, you may want to put the 195* in for winter driving or it'll take much longer for the heater to come up to temp.
Other than that, there are NO negatives to running a cooler t-stat. Positives are you'll see a bit more power due to the richer mix.

For the tranny, short of dropping the pan, there is no SURE way, but if you pull the stick and the fluid is a deep red, NOT pale, NOT brownish, then you can at least be sure that if they didn't change it, at least it's in good shape. You can also smell it, it should have a slightly clean/sweet smell and not smell burnt at all.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM
keepushin770
Amateur

Cool I saw u posted that the 05's were the best for programming in ur opinion. I want to bully dog mine.... It has true 3" duels (2 in 2 out) and I'm getting the full k&n system. Anymore good cheap things I can do to put more hp on the ground?? I want all 345 to the wheels not the crank lol

Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
keepushin770
Amateur

Ok it has a sticker placed over an old sticker. Says authorized software update. And has a bunch of barcodes and numbers. I guess that's it??

Quick Reply: Minor problems