3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will this hitch work to tow an Altima?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Titanguyco05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock bumper with a hitch ball is already rated as a class III. Idk what year the Altima is but, by using the specs of a 2005 Altima, if you rented a Uhaul autotransport u could tow the combination with ur bumper and a hitch ball with a 1" shank which is rated at 6000lbs with no problem and the ball would only cost around $15. The only problem I can see is the weight of the flatbed trailer you would be using. I used the bumper on my 97 Ram for years with no problems even on a trip to New Mexico from Florida towing a monte carlo.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 AM
subzero32
Rookie

Originally Posted by lxman1
Curt makes a good product. I have their weight distribution hitch and have towed over 8K with it. I might be leery of no name stuff, but Curt and Reese make good stuff.

SubZero32, where in Ky are you coming too?
I'm driving to Louisville first then northern KY. I went to dental school at Louisville.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Matt99
Champion

I would just get the hitch that Hammer posted. Or a Reese, which I got from tractor supply.

It takes appx 23 minutes to install.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanguyco05
Idk what year the Altima is but, by using the specs of a 2005 Altima, if you rented a Uhaul autotransport u could tow the combination with ur bumper and a hitch ball with a 1" shank which is rated at 6000lbs with no problem and the ball would only cost around $15.
It depends on what weight is stamped on the bumper next to the ball mount. If it isn't 5500-6000 lbs, they won't rent the trailer to you. Allowed weight is by the lowest number in the chain so it doesn't matter what the ball says if the bumper itself is lower.

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
?????
A U-Haul dolly cannot be backed up at all once a car is loaded onto it. I don't know if it's for safety or what but you won't get an inch out of it no matter what you do. You'll break something before it moves backwards.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go buy yourself a hidden/reese/etc hitch. You have a truck. You'll use it again some time in the future and be glad you had as much time as you do to ponder the install. I do not believe I've ever met anyone that wished the receiver WASN'T installed on their truck.

Besides, the bumpers aren't designed for much weight... It's been said, they flex with the slightest amount of weight on them. Your hitch might not fall off, but your bumper, there's no guarantees.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 06-19-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

I bought mine from harbor frieght for 30 bucks or less, it bolted right in like the OEM one. It is as strong as I have ever had on a truck. 2 3/4" bolts and 2 1/2" bolts, bolt it to the cross member right behind the bumper. looks heavier than the OEM sold ones..

Quick Reply: Will this hitch work to tow an Altima?