3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Customizing and the warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 PM
grayhemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customizing and the warranty

I just bought my first new truck, an '05 Ram QC 4X4 with the HEMI. I noticed the body moulding on the driver's side door was peeling up, so I brought it to the dealer to fix. While I was there, I was asking them what would happen with the 7/70 warranty if I decided to do any customizing, i.e. performance exhaust, CAI, etc. They said that anything I changed would void the warranty for the affected part or sytem, for example, they said if I put a new exhaust system in and suddenly the check engine light comes on, if they decide the problem is due to the exhaust then I'm SOL. So basically, it sounds like I won't be doing anything with my truck until after the warranty runs out. I don't think its worth it to change something and leave myself open to paying a huge bill if something needs repair. My question is, how did you guys deal with this? Did you guys change stuff anyway, or did you wait out the warranty? Its going to drive me nuts not being able to tinker with the truck for 70,000 miles. My last truck was a '94 S-10 I bought used and I started customizing that as soon as I got it. The customizing bug is itching, but I'm afraid to scratch it

Thanks for listening

Old 07-11-2005, 03:31 PM
gsxr150
Rookie
Default RE: Customizing and the warranty

Yeah, it's always going to be up to the dealer as well. Some of them can be jerks about it, but other's don't mind since they are getting paid on the job anyhow. They don't get paid much from DC but at least it's work for a slow service department.

Maybe you just want to chat with the head mechanic to see what his thoughts are. If he's like yeah get exhaust you'll be fine, then just do it.

Oh-- and as far as CIA goes. Just install it, and if you have a problem do one of two things. 1) Take it off before bringing the vehicle in...but that's a pain. 2) Bring it in as is. If they deny the claim, take off the CIA and go to another dealership for service.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Badger3k

ORIGINAL: gsxr150

Oh-- and as far as CIA goes. Just install it, and if you have a problem do one of two things. 1) Take it off before bringing the vehicle in...but that's a pain. 2) Bring it in as is. If they deny the claim, take off the CIA and go to another dealership for service.
Doesn't the information get put into a computer that the truck was brought into this dealership for XXX problem and was rejected because of Y & Z?

Hell, if they don't... too bad for them, but I would almost think that they can track that sorta stuff from dealer to dealer.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:20 PM
FatherKind
Rookie

This was asked a little while ago.

FACT:

Dealers don’t like warranty work, because it pays less than normal repair work. By promoting the myth that aftermarket equipment automatically voids warranties, some dealers avoid such low-paying work. Instead, they attempt to charge customers the prime service rate for work which is rightfully done under warranty.

THE TRUTH:

Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well. Which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

In other words, that means a dealer can’t wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install aftermarket equipment. To find out if any aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty, check the owner’s manual. It is likely the language you are looking for appears under a heading such as “What Is Not Covered†Although the language seems negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the aftermarket products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

VEHICLE DEALERS OBLIGATIONS:

Suppose your modified vehicle needs repairs while still under warranty. Without analyzing the true cause of the problem, the dealer attempts to deny warranty coverage. He made his decision simply based on the fact that you’ve installed aftermarket equipment – a convenient way to dodge low-paying warranty work.

An example of how ridiculous this can get is the man who was denied warranty coverage by a dealer on his power door locks, because he had improved his exhaust system! Sounds nuts? It really happened – because that man did not know his rights and challenge the dealer’s decision.

Fact: A dealer must prove – not just say – that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis.

YOUR RIGHTS:

Point out to the dealer the provision of the Magnuson-Moss Act- Require that he explain to you how the aftermarket equipment caused the problem. If he can’t – or his explanation sounds questionable – it is your legal right to demand he comply with the warranty.

Fact: If you are still being unfairly denied warranty coverage, there is recourse. The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty issues. Direct complaints to the FTC at (202) 326-3128.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Truckin_Tom
Professional

Mod's and customization are a gamble, especially if you do it yourself... but it's not a very big one.. If it was, do you think you'd see so many mod'd trucks on here and on the road? Chances are, your local dealer will cover a warrantied defective part if it shows to be covered and defective.. If it's not defective, they're obligated to show you proof, on paper, that it was the after-market part or modification that caused the problem... If that turns out to be the case, your after-market part(s) should have a warranty and you can persue that avenue... All or most of that has already been covered so I'll add this... (You others are welcome to add to the list!)

The rules of mod'ing/customizing:
--Do your homework.. (If there's something you want to try or something you heard about, ask about it here and/or find reviews/reliability ratings.)
--Buy the good stuff... (Good parts, good warranties and good support from the manufacturer are must have's!)
--Don't go cheap... (The cheapest parts are cheap for a reason. See above.)
--Keep all your paperwork... (Warranties, receipts and customer service phone #'s or websites)
--Find a reputable shop with good, all-around mechanics.. (It's often more fun to "DIY" but alot of warranties require "professional installation". Besides, it's often alot less of a headache to pay to have it done right than wonder what you might've did wrong.)

Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Viper_iii

Here's my Headache...

Got my lift finnaly complete...

Sweet Skyjacker 6" Lift on my 04' Hemi Quad Cab paid for a more stout lift because I do go offroad...
put the 36"x13.5R20 Iroks on the stock 20x9 wheels...
been driving it really carefully to determine if I'll need the 4:56 gears... Currently been reasonable with the 3.92s

Went Offroading finnaly... taking it easy all new parts ya know and this isn't a beater like my other truck...
Get to a point that I think will be good test for the tires and clearance...
Put it into 4low and begin a slow pull with an empty trailer in sand...
(not being aired down i'm taking extra precausions. I can feel the tires biting in and grabbing deeper... I turn the steering to the left then right to reach for extra traction and then everything started making noise and only my rear end was turning and it instantly sank to the frame on the rear. Even after unhitching I still couldn't get loose without my front axle turning.

It indeed broke the inner arm of the passenger side of the CV Joint and I believe there was no traction to the left tire because the front diffs are not posi or limited slip in the stock models.

I still couldn't figure out why it broke.. there was no excessive pressures that I was exerting on them that I hadn't done before if not even harder hey it is a Hemi!

when I got it unstuck (fairly easy with a winch from a hummer and my rear tires working properly) I took it back to level ground about 2 miles to inspect the damage....

At first I saw the same thing broken CV joing but the CV Axle was in good shape actually.. Just the inner arm connecting to the axle seemed to be broken....

Still this didn't satisfy me.... I couldn't even wiggle that darn thing back into the hole....
I saw this and thought that shouldn't be back that far... humm...

so I looked deeper and found this!...

Ohhh Darn! loose bolts someone is going to pay!!!... but wait....

What the heck!?! Where is the metal that holds the bolt which stabilizes the Diff to the vehicle?!?

It appears to have cracked around the diff and broke loose. This begins to explain the problems...

A: Weak Metal Which lead to catastrophic failue in the front drive assembly
B: Weak Metal is clearly not the metal surrounding the Lift Kit...
C: Lift Kit has sustained Zero Damage
D: Lift Kit is designed to match manufactuers specifications so that the parts line up within the 4% variable that the manufacturer allows on their own equipment.

Now... Dealer doesn't want to fix anything... They shouldn't have to they say because someone modified the suspension which caused the differential to break at its mounting points...

Had it broke the gears I might be willing to discuss repair bill costs...
at this point I'm going to fix it probably out of my own pocket however they will re-imburse me if I do choose to do so.
I need a vehicle to drive I can't have it just sitting there waiting for them to make a decision.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:22 AM
mill500
Veteran

Sorry to hear what happened. That is a mess. Like you say, that stuff doesn't sound like it should have happened, but you can bet it's not covered now. Bout all you can do is fix it yourself and move on....although if you do, you now know where to beef up.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:14 PM
grayhemi
Professional

What happened to you is exactly what I'm afraid would happen to me if I tried to change anything, the dealers are always looking for a way to avoid their obligations and keep money in their pockets[sm=boosign.gif].....sorry for your luck...

Old 08-04-2005, 06:23 PM
1SlowFormula
Professional

OK but look the Stealer does have a valid point in the case above.. Obviously the part that were installed were effected by the aftermarket lift kit... Yeah I know the lift kit didn't break and it was the factory part that broke, but the dealer has no way of knowing how it broke because there have been modifications...

Who knows it looksto me like the lift installer could have broken it while tightening down those bolts to much and cracking the dif. case. And I am only looking at a picture. But still, other things could have happened too, but there is a valid point that the part that broke was messed with by the installation of this kit...

BTW, that is a nice looking truck, I hope you get it back on the road soon...

Old 08-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Viper_iii

Long Story I'll keep it short...

Yup they voided however I am thinking of pursing Legal action as their reason for voiding the warranty is merely the existence of the lift kit. Unfortunately now that I have begun getting estimates and written statements on the cause there are things coming out that I didn't want to hear.

A: Dodge - Dealership & or Manufacturer is the one responsible for giving an explanation on what broke and why their warranty is not going to cover it. A simple answer of the modification caused the damage with no proof of where the failure was supposedly coming from. In fact this dealership and the Factory Rep never took a deep look at what was actually the problem.
In the Magnusson-Moss Act it states this clearly (Taken from http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128)

Code:
 The Law

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used (see Attachment A).The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.
B: Waited (Frustrated) for Daimler to Render their Decision ~ 3 Weeks of Waiting and I couldn't get a straight answer on whether or not I could have the vehicle towed to get estimates without further risking my warranty. I now have gotten my first statement that does shed some light back towards the Installer company. All Dodge had to do was inspect the vehicle and even charge me for the inspection. There is concern that both parties may have some blame and litigation could ensue for both parties.

Once I get this settled I will post the outcome...

someone had posted "...get it fixed and move on..." If the repairs were 1k or less I would. Currently the tab will be closer to 5k which is what I paid in total for the lift and tires so 10k which is almost exactly 1/3 of the purchase price! Unfortunately I am not THAT FORGIVING !.

I am looking to get some additional statements and quotes on the matter to see what the problems are and evaluate the costs!

At this point I will most likly pursue some action against Daimler and our local Haddad Dodge Dealership because of several reasons. I will also now have to look at what part the installer has to be responsible for and force their hand as well.

My next action if things get worse will be to contact SEMA.org because its their work that lets us use modifications...

Something else that that was stated and was fun to read in the Magnusson-Moss & in Part in California Beverly-Song Act...

"...Aftermarket Modifications do not warrant a voided warranty unless they cause the failure...."
"...If the manufacturer states you can only use their parts for their vehicles ..... then they must provide at no charge those parts and replacement parts..." The example given is an airfilter. Kinda nice to know that our rights are protected and that dealerships are getting pretty flagrant about their "Policies" and turing people around.

Quick Reply: Customizing and the warranty