3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7l rebuild, replace, other options

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM
geordiep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7l rebuild, replace, other options

2004 Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi
Last weekend the temperature guage was going from hot to normal and back to hot. Parts desk suggested to start with thermostat change. I changed it, topped up coolant (6 liters to fill it). This seemed to fix the problem. Drove the truck about 30 miles over the weekend with no issues.

On Monday driving into work the engine light came on then the engine started to lose power so I pulled over and the engine died. Temp guage stated normal. Opened the hood and steam/smoke was coming from the engine. Had it towed to Canadian Tire.

Canadian Tire called saying there was a coolant leak in the cylinders. The codes returned that the temperature gauge was faulty and the check engine was related to an exhaust leak issue? They suggested to bring it to a dealer for an engine rebuild or swap since they can't do anything more with it. Holy $#%&!!!

They suggested my best beat is to get a used 5.7 and swap it out. A rebuild may be an option but more testing must be done to know the full extent of the damage. Due to the engine having over 170,000 miles, a swap may be the safer beat.

Problem is I have to get it towed to somewhere soon and I live 25 miles from the city. I was planning on selling it for a cummings diesel before this happened since 10mpg is killing me.

What are my options here? I am not working on a whole lot of details from Canadian Tire. I don't want to take it to a dealer and be quoted $6000 for a new engine.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

I don't know but sounds like a blown head gasket to me. At 170,000 miles that might not be a good thing. Someone is going to have to look.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Certainly blown head gaskets or cracked heads. Not hard to tear apart and rebuild IMO but if you are sure about stats then pulling, taking apart and rebuilding an engine is way out of your league.

Overall, Im curious about when you said "topped up coolant (6 liters to fill it)". So it took 6 liters to fill the rad? If so then thats why you were running hot. Obviously running too hot for too long caused your newly found other issues.

Before you drive your ride you are supposed to do several checks like checking tire pressure and lugs, all lights working and horn, all fluids such as oil, trans, brake, coolant, ect.

Now I know we dont all do this every time but doing it at least once a week it good practice and can be preventive maintenance.

You dont have a location given but you keep saying Canadian Tire so Im guessing you are up north.

You can pick up a used HEMI for 1000-2500 buck.

New head gaskets and head bolts are 100. Getting all the machine work done to the heads and checking them for cracks will likely run 350-500. Now these are prices local to me and may differ for CN.

But overall, that should cover all you need. The block and everything else should be fine. i could break down the block in a few hours, have the parts at the machine shop for maybe 2-3 days depending on their schedule and have it all back together in a half a day. So a week overall would be the down time IMO with less than 600 in repairs

Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 AM
geordiep

Thanks for the replies. I am planning on rebuilding, as weedahoe suggested. I know a mechanic who may help me re-assemble everything. Due to the high mileage (170,000), does it make sense to buy a rebuild kit. Found one on eBay for $780:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...391#vi-content

I have rebuilt many 2-stroke snowmobile engines before but this is a whole new ball game. I have the service manual to assist. Is there a DIY guide that anyone knows of for rebuilding the 5.7L.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You can download the 04 Srvc Man from the link in my signature to help and guide you. You may also want to download the Parts Manual as well.

Be sure to take lots of pics **we love pics**

Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 PM
geordiep

I finally have time to work on my engine. I found a 2005 Hemi engine. Can I easily swap it with my 2004? It is complete with wiring harness & pcm.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

No need to swap harness, just swap the engine

Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 PM
geordiep
Default Fuel line quick connector

I have my replacement engine ready to go but I don't have the damn special tool to remove the fuel line. See attached pictures.

On my replacement engine they had the same problem and simply cut the metal line a few feet from the engine.

I need to get this engine in ASAP since I am renting an engine hoist so I was thinking to cut the blown engines' fuel line as close to the engine as possible. Remove the engine and install new one. Then buy/rent/borrow/steal special tool and connect.

1st image is connector with safety clip,
2nd image is replacement engine line cut next to connector
3rd image is the excess fuel line on replacement engine

Last edited by geordiep; 01-07-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

go to any auto parts store and buy the pack or kit of AC or fuel disconnect pieces. you need the 3/8 one. Should be less than 10 bucks

these are the ones i have

Old 12-11-2011, 12:45 AM
geordiep
Talking

Originally Posted by weedahoe
go to any auto parts store and buy the pack or kit of AC or fuel disconnect pieces. you need the 3/8 one. Should be less than 10 bucks
You saved me a major headache. Found at set at Canadian Tire for $15. Thank you. Thank you.

I will upload some pictures of the swap tomorrow when I have completed. Any tips for putting the engine in I should know about?

Quick Reply: 5.7l rebuild, replace, other options