3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New shocks with leveling keys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 AM
cuervo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shocks with leveling keys?

2005 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 4.7L; I am considering leveling keys, will I need to get longer shocks also? I'm at 84K on the odometer, still on factory shocks so I was considering replacing all 4 while installing the leveling keys.

I see there are many mfg of torsion bar keys. Any strong likes or dislikes?

Also, a little thanks to the Forum, it's mods and members. I have had a CEL for probably two years, went by the parts house, they read the CEL to be a failed EGR valve. So, I purchased new one (for around $40.00), came home and replaced. As said in other related posts, it was a REAL bear to access on the back of the 4.7L but I finished the job in about an hr. Disconnected the cables for a few minutes and no more CEL! Not sure if this is connected, but my gas mileage had fallen to about 10.4mpg. Will see if it improves with the new EGR.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:59 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

you will need longer shocks for the front or a shock relocation kit that will use the factory shocks. I wouldn't waste money on new keys, just adjust your torsion bars, you should be able to get the truck level that way

Old 06-30-2011, 01:28 PM
cuervo

Thanks DB79. Adjusting the torsion bars VS. leveling key; will either have a noticeable effect on ride quality/stiffness?

Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, BOTH will stiffen the front end proportionally with the amount of lift provided. The higher the keys, the more tension is put on the torsion bar. Because of the CV axle angles and stress put on ball joints and tie rods, I don't recommend more than 2" max for a level of any kind.

And yeah, although you may "get by" with the stock shocks in the stock position, you'll bottom them out at severe articulation and they will wear out much faster.

I agree with dodgeboy, I don't see any advantage to buying keys as opposed to cranking the existing ones up a bit.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
xjfever
Professional

I cranked my torsion bars up a few days ago, about 1.25" is all I went. It stiffened the ride a bit but not too bad. That is about as far as I was comfortable going as I kept an eye on the cv axles as I was adjusting and at that height the angle is pretty steep. 1.25" doesn't sound like much but it looks much better now without the factory nose dive. Good thing is the shocks are still fine for street driving and the cost was free.

Quick Reply: New shocks with leveling keys?