3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case Shift Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 AM
IBRAHM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing I found this thread extremely helpful..
I want to ask is there a permanent solution to this issue? I changed one grommet and it came off after six months or so !! (maybe because I didn’t grease the grommet prior to installation idk!?)
How can I make sure that this thing will not happen over and over again when am off road?!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IBRAHM
Thanks for sharing I found this thread extremely helpful..
I want to ask is there a permanent solution to this issue? I changed one grommet and it came off after six months or so !! (maybe because I didn’t grease the grommet prior to installation idk!?)
How can I make sure that this thing will not happen over and over again when am off road?!
None that I know of. It's funny but I had never heard of it happening til it happened to me. I looked into it and seems the 2nd Gens have the same rubber grommet system for holding it on too and you NEVER hear of a 2nd Gen losing the linkage. Daks and Durango's too.

A search of both of those sections showed NO dak posts about it. There is ONE in the 1st Gen Dak section and it's fairly recent.

I'm betting that's why they changed part numbers in '07 though. Although it's still the same "rubber grommet" system, probably a better design.

What I think I'm going to do is pick me up a second set of grommets to keep on hand. Then, go get me a small piece of stainless cable or fine chain. Use a self tapping screw and make me a little "tether" so if the damn grommets fail and the linkage falls off, at least I won't lose it. Just a little $3 or $4 insurance policy...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-26-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:25 AM
IBRAHM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
None that I know of. It's funny but I had never heard of it happening til it happened to me. I looked into it and seems the 2nd Gens have the same rubber grommet system for holding it on too and you NEVER hear of a 2nd Gen losing the linkage. Daks and Durango's too.

A search of both of those sections showed NO dak posts about it. There is ONE in the 1st Gen Dak section and it's fairly recent.

I'm betting that's why they changed part numbers in '07 though. Although it's still the same "rubber grommet" system, probably a better design.

What I think I'm going to do is pick me up a second set of grommets to keep on hand. Then, go get me a small piece of stainless cable or fine chain. Use a self tapping screw and make me a little "tether" so if the damn grommets fail and the linkage falls off, at least I won't lose it. Just a little $3 or $4 insurance policy...
well it is disappointing but I guess what u’ve suggested is the only solution
do u recommened i replace the 2 grommets + the bolt + the clamp ? or it doesnt matter since i need only the grommet?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:28 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I don't see any reason to replace the bolt or clamp or linkage bar unless there is something wrong with it. The failure, when it happens is always in the rubber bushing (grommet). Rubber is just prone to dry and crack.

I asked a a friend who owns a 4x4 shop here locally if there is a better setup or how other manufacturers do it. I kinda suggested a hollow metal "sleeve" and a bolt/nut thru it. But he said the rubber bushing is because of vibration and there needed to be "give" because of flex in the frame when off-road, etc. He said that this is pretty much the way it's done and always has been on manual transfer case systems.

I'm just surprised you don't hear of it more often, especially with the hard-core off-road guys who do the water/deep mud thing. You'd think wetting and drying would cause dry rot faster. Yeah, I've had my truck in some mud and probably standing water up to the transfer case/diffs, especially when hog hunting in the swamps. But NOT often, maybe 3-4 times a year.

I guess it should just be routine to check the condition of the bushings everytime you change the oil. A quick look will tell if they are cracked and dry-rotted or not. It really is a simple task to replace them. Although I'm still planning on tethering my linkage...

Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 AM
IBRAHM

thanx hammer
appriciate it

Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
gheegrose
Amateur

Mine just crapped out too. Called the Dodge parts dept and he knew exactly what it was. After reading this I wonder if the new shift bar/lever comes with the link adjuster on it? Maybe I should call the parts guy back.

Thanks for the info guys! I will report back and let you know how it goes.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 PM
gheegrose
Amateur

I knew I wouldn't have all the parts I needed. Looks like I have to buy the set screw or whatever goes into the adjustment clamp.

In case this helps anyone...here are some pics of what I got.

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case Shift Linkage-2011-11-28-18.30.35.jpg  

Last edited by gheegrose; 11-28-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I've got about a foot long strand of 80 lb. test PowerPro braided fishing line tied to mine and the frame now, so maybe if it falls out again, the line will keep me from losing it altogether...

Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
gheegrose
Amateur

I plan on putting a similar harness on mine as well. Will save me $40 if it decides to fall out again.

I appreciate the info and help I found on here guys!!!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by gheegrose
I plan on putting a similar harness on mine as well. Will save me $40 if it decides to fall out again.

I appreciate the info and help I found on here guys!!!

Luckily I was able to find mine. I got lucky and when I shifted the truck into 4WD while doing some fishing off of some pretty muddy trails it engaged fine. When I left I went to shift to 2WD as I got back to the main road and the lever was just as limp as it could be. It was absolutely pouring rain so I got it home and parked it. Next morning I got underneath and saw the linkage missing so I just shifted the lever back to 2WD manually while I was under there.
I knew the roughly mile and half stretch where I was able to shift and then wasn't so I jumped in my Jeep and retraced my steps, my g/f spotted it in less than 5 minutes after we got there so I only had to buy the two grommets...

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Shift Linkage