3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case Shift Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:00 PM
pioneerlax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, just came across this forum and thank goodness I did. Just had the grommet fail just before a snowstorm and only had 2wd...got the last one at a dealership...he said they have been going off the shelf the last few weeks...lucked out and the bar still attached..(2004 1500SLT)..I am going to keep two in the glove box for emergency and would like to attempt a way to secure the bar in case of future fails...thanks for posting, this lead me to the right answer quickly

Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM
atlphotog

This happened to me yesterday while I was out at my in-laws property. Problem is, I was shifting from 4lo to 2wd and the linkage broke in neutral. I was not able to get the linkage back together or get it back in gear. I also heard almost like a grinding sound when putting the truck into Park. Guess I'll be calling a wrecker to get it to the dealer. Anyone else experience the grinding sound? I'm hoping it just isnt in gear all the way and once the linkage is repaired it will all be fixed.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

The grinding sound is because your transmission was still spinning when you threw it into park, there wasnt a driveshaft to stop it so the parking brake pawl smacked the teeth a few times. Its not good for it but one time wont hurt anything. Not worth a dealer trip, throw the shift linkage back on there and put it in 2wd.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 PM
SimplySouthern
Default Thanks for the info.

THANKS, my 4wd shift linkage just fell to the same demise lol. I searched around and found a DORMAN PN 14078 as a direct cross with Chrysler PN 68078974AA. Hope this helps save someone else a few dollars. Here is the link http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...2&SEName=14078

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case Shift Linkage-14078.jpg  

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Shift Linkage