3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 to 5.7 Engine Swap - 1 Problem, Please Help!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 AM
dodgeborn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did! I looked over the wiring diagram thoroughly and tried troubleshooting it that way, but it was getting way too complicated. Then, I got lucky! I was walking through a Junk Yard that I frequent, and low and behold, there was a 03 Dodge Ram that had once had a 5.7 in it. The engine and tranny had already been pulled, but the Power Distribution Box was still there along with the harness for it. I pulled it and put in in my truck and bam....it shifted properly! Thanks for everybody's help.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
03whiteram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by dodgeborn
I did! I looked over the wiring diagram thoroughly and tried troubleshooting it that way, but it was getting way too complicated. Then, I got lucky! I was walking through a Junk Yard that I frequent, and low and behold, there was a 03 Dodge Ram that had once had a 5.7 in it. The engine and tranny had already been pulled, but the Power Distribution Box was still there along with the harness for it. I pulled it and put in in my truck and bam....it shifted properly! Thanks for everybody's help.
I too have a '03 Ram 4.7 that I want to convert to the same year Hemi. From what I understand, the following parts are what you used:
'03 5.7 Hemi engine and wiring harness
PCM
TCM
Power Distribution Box and wiring

Aside from having to wire up for the electronic TB, is there anything else you had to do that involved the TB, for example, the pedal assembly? What about the radiator and a/c?

Everything you have done is almost basically plug and play for an '03 4.7 swap to '03 hemi from what I understand, with the exception of the TB.

What kind of mulah did you spend for this entire project?

My engine is approaching 170k miles, with less than 5k miles on the heads. So, before spending all the $$$ for another underpowered 4.7, I'd rather spend about the same amount for more power and ability.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do , I hope you start a thread and post pics..

Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeborn

Very COOL ! I'm glad to see you got it going..Have you driven it much ? How do you like it now with the Hemi ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 to 5.7 Engine Swap - 1 Problem, Please Help!